***** Official 2016 BBQ Thread - Chucking it Down: Proper British BBQ Weather *****

Associate
57cm mastertouch imminent at the weekend.

I need help with accessories guys. Briquette type? Thermometer make/model?

First things I want to try are decent ribs and pulled pork (shoulder?). Been on amazingribs to learn about it. I'm alright at direct cooking on charcoal (had a smokey joe for 2+ years), but indirect is totally new to me.

Man of Honour
OP
You can get away with less than optimal charcoal to start with. It will just require more babysitting due to not lasting as long :)

Have you read through...like...every page on Amazing Ribs?

Soldato
12965803_1839850126242601_1417692691_n.jpg

Leftovers.

Soldato
Going fishing this weekend, have decided to put some spare ribs in the slow cooker for 3-4 hours, then wrap them in foil with BBQ sauce to be BBQ'd when i get there for quick but tender sticky ribs because hopefully i will be too busy catching fish to give too much attention to the cooker to slow cook anything out there.

Associate
ET733 for your thermometer. I like to cook with cocoshells but they are expensive so mix with big k lumps

I have a bag of big K lumpwood for the moment, but read that it's best to do low n slow with briquettes as it removes another variable.

You can get away with less than optimal charcoal to start with. It will just require more babysitting due to not lasting as long :)

Have you read through...like...every page on Amazing Ribs?

I've been studying Amazing ribs! But it's knowing what to get hold of here, all the links are in 'murican. Aren't they?

Soldato
Quick question for all the pros on here...

I am tempted to try a small pulled pork say a 1kg supermarche bought piece just to see how to keep the kettle at 225ish - will a smaller bit take much less time to cook, how long should I be aiming for basically?

Man of Honour
OP
I've been studying Amazing ribs! But it's knowing what to get hold of here, all the links are in 'murican. Aren't they?

Yeah..it definitely features more stuff from across the pond. It took me ages to learn all the British equivalents for different cuts.

Quick question for all the pros on here...

I am tempted to try a small pulled pork say a 1kg supermarche bought piece just to see how to keep the kettle at 225ish - will a smaller bit take much less time to cook, how long should I be aiming for basically?

I'd still give yourself something like 6 hours. It almost certainly won't take that long but it's far better to finish early and let the meat rest than to finish just on time or late.

Also try and make sure it's at least 1.5kg tbh.

Soldato
I'd still give yourself something like 6 hours. It almost certainly won't take that long but it's far better to finish early and let the meat rest than to finish just on time or late.

Also try and make sure it's at least 1.5kg tbh.

Thanks, I will see what I can pick up - plan is to do it in the day tomms for dinner as family want some standard bbq fare for dinner - I can experiment with it and still have food if it does not go to plan!

Plus I can play Destiny all day while everyone thinks I have spent hours cooking ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, I will see what I can pick up - plan is to do it in the day tomms for dinner as family want some standard bbq fare for dinner - I can experiment with it and still have food if it does not go to plan!

Plus I can play Destiny all day while everyone thinks I have spent hours cooking ;)

That's the best bit about low and slow :p

Soldato
Sooooo, I ended up with a 1.8kg bit, trimmed the fat off and its 1.6kg - only problem is they had it tied with string and its now 3 pieces, 2 small and 1 big...

How do I go about doing this, placing it all together in one big 'lump' on the BBQ?

It has all had some rub applied and in the fridge now - should I aim for about 8 hours cooking?

Man of Honour
OP
Sooooo, I ended up with a 1.8kg bit, trimmed the fat off and its 1.6kg - only problem is they had it tied with string and its now 3 pieces, 2 small and 1 big...

How do I go about doing this, placing it all together in one big 'lump' on the BBQ?

It has all had some rub applied and in the fridge now - should I aim for about 8 hours cooking?

You could rescue the string and tie it all up again?

Alternatively, if the pieces are of roughly equal thickness you could cook it in separate bits until it develops a reasonable bark then wrap and see it through until 90C (ish). Then vent it for 30 minutes to bring the temp down...then re-wrap and rest.

I often have done something like the above and just arranged the meat so it ended up roughly the same thickness throughout. The only real issue is that rub stuck between pieces will tend to end up a bit grainy and blah. You can get around this be rearranging half way through though.

Allowing 8 hours is a good thing - always best to have too much time. Chances are with multiple smaller bits you'll finish cooking far in advance of that though :) Just follow the directions above and once you re-wrap place it within a million towels, an oven at 50C or a coolbox (obviously without ice packs in :p).

Soldato
You could rescue the string and tie it all up again?

Alternatively, if the pieces are of roughly equal thickness you could cook it in separate bits until it develops a reasonable bark then wrap and see it through until 90C (ish). Then vent it for 30 minutes to bring the temp down...then re-wrap and rest.

I often have done something like the above and just arranged the meat so it ended up roughly the same thickness throughout. The only real issue is that rub stuck between pieces will tend to end up a bit grainy and blah. You can get around this be rearranging half way through though.

Allowing 8 hours is a good thing - always best to have too much time. Chances are with multiple smaller bits you'll finish cooking far in advance of that though :) Just follow the directions above and once you re-wrap place it within a million towels, an oven at 50C or a coolbox (obviously without ice packs in :p).

Thanks for all the help, I have 1 big bit and 2 much much smaller bits - the string is in the bin but I guess i have other string..

I'm tempted to just do the big bit, it really is the majority of the cut and maybe do the others separately but checking them early on or even just throwing them in the slow cooker for a pulled pork shoot out!

Soldato
Do them all on the BBQ and just eat the small bits as large snacks whilst you wait for the big bit to cook :)

And you're welcome - though don't thank me until it turns out well...

I have gone with this plan, currently looking like this...

File%2029-04-2016%2C%2010%2009%2025.jpeg

Temp was 226 when I put the pork in, dropped a bit but recovering - seems on the edge of being in the zone, its very cold and windy so hoping I can hold the temp!

Caporegime
:drool:

All this beef is making me fancy some brisket. Last time I smoked it it didn't turn out too well (dry and chewy). Has anyone got any tips? It's a $50 chunk of meat so I'd rather not destroy it.

Do I have to cut all of the fat off it? Youtube videos said yes, but I'm wondering if I should leave some on like you do with pork.

the fat is what makes meat more tasty dont cut off until cooked.so many do this.

Soldato
Anyone got anything special planned for this weekend?

I am going fishing for a few days and am bringing two Cobb BBQs with me. Not sure what i will cook though, hard to decide as if the fishing is good i wont be able to spare much attention to the food or just reel in and cook something quick.

Back
Top Bottom