• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All you people buying a 1080, will you be upgrading to a 1080Ti later on?

Associate
I thought you were big on watercooling.

IIRC you have built some fantastic watercooled PCs.

I used to be, until I realized how great air became. Cooling really isn't the limit anymore with these low power chips these days, voltage scaling is. The air cooler on my 980Ti Lightnings is so good, I could do 1520 MHz in almost silence. Basically made water cooling and the hassle nullified.

These chips are getting so power efficient, water cooling days are limited IMO.

Soldato
Yeah because the 1080 isn't overpriced either?

At least with the 1080ti you'll be able to notice a difference in games compared to buying a card that offers similar performance to one you sold 6 months ago.

I get the same feeling, it's basically 970-980 all over again with the 1070-1080. Big price hike, small performance improvement.

Best option is from 1070 (or 980Ti) to 1080Ti.

Associate
At the moment I'm fortunate enough that I can sink money into PC gaming. There will be a time when I probably won't be able to do that, and I also don't have any other particularly expensive habits so I don't mind spending a few hundred pounds shifting from GPU to GPU.

Not saying I'll definitely do it, but if it's a great card I would.

Soldato
People with plenty money to spare will surely just keep getting the latest card. Just like the mega rich don't keep a Ferrari long, when a new one comes out, they just get it. I don't blame them.

Associate
If 1080 TI will offer 50% more performance over 1080 like 980ti did to 980 then I might consider upgrade but probably I will not bother :) I play at 1440 and in fact have very little time for gaming so it is a massive waste of money as it is but once per few years I do upgrade so I can catch up with some nice titles but it is getting more and more expensive.

This time my excuse for upgrading to new platform is to make myself ready for VR gen 2.

Associate
3840 Cuda cores? Hell yes. Hopefully AMD Vega will be competitive so Nvidia can find a good price for the 1080 Ti. Although truth be told, even if it doesn't have a great price to performance ratio, I'd still buy it if it offers a substantial performance upgrade over the 1080 (which it will).

Soldato
I see this thread and...
*facepalm*
Some people just can't be patient I guess.
If you mean the TI version well I have to *facepalm* you. It not about being patient for many of us as the TI version is a waste of time for those of us that play lots of games in the summer and less often in the winter. I would rather get a 1080 or 1180 over any TI version as the TI versions end up being slower for when I get to play games the most.

Associate
It not about being patient for many of us as the TI version is a waste of time for those of us that play lots of games in the summer and less often in the winter.

Uh, what? I like new and shiny GPUs as much as the next guy, and I'm still itching to pull the trigger on 1080 SLI, but don't say things like that. So far the gains on Ti have been bigger than the following x80 part, and they have enjoyed a significantly longer lifespan.

Based on 780 through 1080, average...
Time before 80 part is dethroned = 7 months
Time before Ti part is dethroned = 11.5 months

I would rather get a 1080 or 1180 over any TI version as the TI versions end up being slower for when I get to play games the most.

Lies. The 780Ti was the fastest GPU for summer 2014, and the 980Ti was the fastest GPU for summer 2015, if we ignore Titans.

Associate
If 1080 TI will offer 50% more performance over 1080 like 980ti did to 980 then I might consider upgrade but probably I will not bother :) I play at 1440 and in fact have very little time for gaming so it is a massive waste of money as it is but once per few years I do upgrade so I can catch up with some nice titles but it is getting more and more expensive.

This time my excuse for upgrading to new platform is to make myself ready for VR gen 2.

Exact same boat here. I'm playing at 1400 (well, 1600 as its 16:10) and the 1080 will ensure I can play games maxed so I doubt I'd go for the Ti.

Especially as I really don't play games that often either. Xcom 2 is the only one I've played this year but I will give Doom a go with the 1080.

I'm also desperate to get on the VR bandwagon but feel gen 2 will be the right time to jump on. In fact the only reason I was able to refrain from buying a Vive was by ploughing the money into the 1080 instead.

Soldato
Lies. The 780Ti was the fastest GPU for summer 2014, and the 980Ti was the fastest GPU for summer 2015, if we ignore Titans.
I was talking about the 1080 generation and for summer gaming this year the 1080 is faster than the 980TI. Yes in some years the TI is better for summer gaming but not this year.

“Uh, what? I like new and shiny GPUs as much as the next guy, and I'm still itching to pull the trigger on 1080 SLI, but don't say things like that. So far the gains on Ti have been bigger than the following x80 part, and they have enjoyed a significantly longer lifespan.

Based on 780 through 1080, average...
Time before 80 part is dethroned = 7 months
Time before Ti part is dethroned = 11.5 months”
It’s not always about when the GPU is dethroned. I don’t work in the summer; my wife does work so like a lot of gamers I get a lot of gaming time in the summer compared to the winter. By the time the 1080TI comes out in the winter I am back at work, others are back at school so we get little gaming time in the winter in comparison to the summer. So yes the 1080 gets dethroned in the winter but it seems to me considering the majority of my gaming time is in the summer then for this year the 1080 is a far better choice then the 1080ti. EDIT: ( I don't see the point in upgrading my GPU more then once a year)

I know it doesn’t apply to everyone but a lot of gamers game more in the summer then the winter and for us it doesn't make sense to wait for the TI version this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a 1080 because I want a card to see me through the next 5 years. I've had a 570 for nearly 6 years now too (though that's because my 480 SLI died early on).

I'll upgrade if the performance is lacking, but I can't see that happening within the next few years at least when I game at 1440p. Bring on star citizen!

Back
Top Bottom