• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080, thermal throttle issue?

Associate
I’d like to settle an argument. Below are some plots from today of a GTX 1080 (using the default Nvidia fan profile) both and stock and OC in the Witcher 3. Is this sufficient evidence of a thermal throttling issue? Secondly, are there any 1080 owners (FE or otherwise) who are seeing thermal throttling that is impacting performance?

Soldato
Looks ok, Nvidia really should have set the default fan profile higher and it would have avoided all of the bad press. But the blower at 70% is quite loud (judging from 980ti reference card), although not terrible.

Maybe they changed it since the review samples? I don't think it went to 70% in the review samples.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Funny thing is when nvidia released the gtx 980 Tom Petersen was on PCper yakking about the "acoustic experience" of the card. That changed a lot with the 980 ti where he said the card was "still basically silent" but there was more they could do to the heatsink etc. Seems that mentality about being quiet is back in place with the 1080 sacrificing clocks to be quieter. =/

Last edited:
Associate
My concern is also over noise and overheating, do you think buying a three fan configuration like the "ichill" will solve all these issues? (For a lower price mind you)

Associate
If it's doing a stable over 2Ghz at 70% fan speed then that seems pretty good to me.
I would expect my 980ti to throttle if the fans were only going at 58%. My 980ti fans game at about 88%, which is certainly audible but I just don't notice it while gaming.
It seems to bode quite well for my 1080 FTW.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I basically had a beef with this video,

In it he claims (about 1:10) that the card (for a card he doesn't own or has tested) can't really achieve the boost clock. Hence my testing with the card which clearly demonstrates that it can easily operate at 10.5 TF.

For the record, at >60% fan speed IMO it is no quieter or nosier than any other blower style card that I've owned. Although its not quite an noisy as a PS4 at full pelt.

Associate
as a complete n00b and someone who has the 1080 card coming this week, should i increase fan speed on my card ? Apart from an increase in noise will it affect warranty or cause any problems? I presume you download some tool on internet to adjust it or maybe its from within nvidia panel?

Associate
OP
as a complete n00b and someone who has the 1080 card coming this week, should i increase fan speed on my card ? Apart from an increase in noise will it affect warranty or cause any problems? I presume you download some tool on internet to adjust it or maybe its from within nvidia panel?

I use MSI afternurner. This card runs really good at stock, without an OC or fan profiles - just enjoy the card it screams!

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom