• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Mod note - Please note, this thread is for the general discussion of the Pascal range including gossip, rumours etc.. If you have a more specific question, like will it run my PC etc, then please feel free to start a new thread but please keep general comments in here.

Please bear in mind that new members and potential customers may be popping in to ask questions etc. We ask you all to be polite, courteous and helpful at all times

Thanks

Huddy

(Updated May 2016)

ASSmNL1.png

JgqufMN.png
KnDvinr.jpg

GTX 1080: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Older Posts:
Now that the Titan X is here and represents the pinnacle of the Maxwell architecture, seems like a good time to move on to speculation and news on Nvidia's upcoming architecture Pascal.

To try and keep rumours, leaks, and speculation in one place. A place to discuss everything Pascal here.

exA2O4e.png
B06Ehlf.png
3RsrKpo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nvidia: ‘Pascal’ architecture’s NVLink to enable 8-way multi-GPU capability

Compute performance of modern graphics processing units (GPUs) is tremendous, but so are the needs of modern applications that use such chips to display beautiful images or perform complex scientific calculations. Nowadays it is rather impossible to install more than four GPUs into a computer box and get adequate performance scaling. But brace yourself as Nvidia is working on eight-way multi-GPU technology.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-nvlink-to-enable-8-way-multi-gpu-capability/

ixwY1yP.png
rGXFMgw.png
vEzgkhu.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NVIDIA Updates GPU Roadmap; Unveils Pascal Architecture For 2016

In something of a surprise move, NVIDIA took to the stage today at GTC to announce a new roadmap for their GPU families. With today’s announcement comes news of a significant restructuring of the roadmap that will see GPUs and features moved around, and a new GPU architecture, Pascal, introduced in the middle.

We’ll get to Pascal in a second, but to put it into context let’s first discuss NVIDIA’s restructuring. At GTC 2013 NVIDIA announced their future Volta architecture. Volta, which had no scheduled date at the time, would be the GPU after Maxwell. Volta’s marquee feature would be on-package DRAM, utilizing Through Silicon Vias (TSVs) to die stack memory and place it on the same package as the GPU. Meanwhile in that roadmap NVIDIA also gave Maxwell a date and a marquee feature: 2014, and Unified Virtual Memory.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7900/nvidia-updates-gpu-roadmap-unveils-pascal-architecture-for-2016

PqtCOj9.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nvidia ‘Pascal’ GPUs to offer up to 10X higher speed than ‘Maxwell’

At its GPU Technology Conference Nvidia Corp. revealed some details about its next-generation code-named “Pascal” architecture of graphics processing units. As expected, the new GPUs will feature numerous innovations that will provide significant benefits in performance in various types of applications.

Nvidia noted three key technologies that the “Pascal” GPUs will have: mixed precision computing, support for stacked multi-layer 3D memory and NVLink GPU bus. As reported previously, the “Pascal” GPUs will be made using 16nm FinFET process technology, therefore, expect increased count of stream processors, and higher clock-rates in addition to architectural enhancements. According to Nvidia, in peak cases, when all improvements come into play, “Pascal” GPUs can be 10 times faster than “Maxwell” GPUs. In typical cases expect next-gen GPUs to be around two times faster than contemporary graphics chips.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-to-10-times-higher-performance-than-maxwell/

Soldato
OP
CEO of Nvidia: Can’t wait to tell you about future ‘Pascal’ products

Chief executive officer of Nvidia Corp. this week said that the company is designing a broad lineup of solutions for different applications powered by its next-generation “Pascal” graphics processor architecture and other technologies from the company. Jen-Hsun Huang seems to be impressed about the prospects of products that are in the company’s pipeline, but he naturally reveals no details. The CEO advices to “wait a little longer” to find out more about them.

The upcoming PK100 and PK104 graphics processing units will not only feature major architectural innovations, but they will also be made using either 14nm or 16nm manufacturing technology with fin-shaped field-effect transistors (FinFETs).

In addition, next-generation graphics processing units from Nvidia will support second-generation stacked high-bandwidth memory (HBM2). The HBM2 will let Nvidia and its partners build graphics cards with up to 32GB of onboard memory and 820GB/s – 1TB/s bandwidth.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...about-future-pascal-products-in-the-pipeline/

Associate
'The HBM2 will let Nvidia and its partners build graphics cards with up to 32GB of onboard memory'
guessing they'll cheap out and go as low as possible on it as usual (as is the case with all but the titan series cards) but still sounds interesting. Going to have to see how these new technologies compare to what AMD are bringing too but sounds like they could make the titans a bit less attractive if they outperform them so soon.

Soldato
OP
So the next flagship whatever they call it (GM200 Successor), might come with more than 12GB HBM 2.0, while the mainstream flagship (GM204 Successor) will likely come with 8GB HBM 2.0.

These cards are going to be epic :eek:

Looking forward to seeing AMD's first HBM cards soon, but next year I think these cards are going to have ridiculous performance. Nvidia will no doubt release a monster card to cement their lead after AMD's 3XX series. It's gonna be good :D

Caporegime
Yup, I'm decided to at least try and hang on for mainstream Pascal. AMD have been far too poor of late regarding drivers (and especially Crossfire profiles!), it'll take some time to get that department right imo...

Soldato
OP
Yup, I'm decided to at least try and hang on for mainstream Pascal. AMD have been far too poor of late regarding drivers (and especially Crossfire profiles!), it'll take some time to get that department right imo...

Yeah I must admit, with Nvidia's 'Gimping with Gameworks' program even if the 390X is a monster it might still have performance issues with Gameworks titles. So in that sense it might make more sense to stick with Nvidia.

We could have a situation where the 390X is 10% faster than Titan X but in Gameworks titles it's a good 10% slower.

To Nvidia's credit they do release drivers for games at launch as well, so even in non Gameworks titles you get good performance. AMD's drivers have been lagging lately. With AMD's renewed focus on high performance we might see better driver support. They do have a new BETA that was released only a few days ago etc..

390X will need to be either fair bit quicker than Titan X, or similar performance but a lot cheaper for me to consider switching. Think AMD have a hard road ahead tbh.

In the meantime Titan X performs like a beast..

Soldato
I desperately want to upgrade from my 570GTX, but I have sunk a lot into star citizen and don't want to buy a card that can't run it well at 1440p :(. I guess I don't really play many new "next gen" games anyway that would hurt my poor baby. I only just started playing the witcher 2, though I've noticed that at 1080p and high, I'm still hitting down to 12fps in some of the cutscenes O.o

I also BSODed today woop.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wishing Pascal would come sooner than later - don't really want to spend more money on a 28nm card but could do with a little more VRAM, core performance (when not VRAM limited) out of my card isn't so far behind anything other than a moderately overclocked Titan X to be worth upgrading :|

If it wasn't for the VRAM I'd stick another 780 in - kind of wish I'd bought a couple of the 6GB ones now when they were available.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wishing Pascal would come sooner than later - don't really want to spend more money on a 28nm card but could do with a little more VRAM, core performance (when not VRAM limited) out of my card isn't so far behind anything other than a moderately overclocked Titan X to be worth upgrading :|

If it wasn't for the VRAM I'd stick another 780 in - kind of wish I'd bought a couple of the 6GB ones now when they were available.

When the 390X launches it is going to be interesting what impact using HBM has on the price of the card.

Will HBM push up the cost of cards compared to GDDR5 ?

Caporegime
When the 390X launches it is going to be interesting what impact using HBM has on the price of the card.

Will HBM push up the cost of cards compared to GDDR5 ?

I think AMD are going to want more than 'usual' for the top card, but other than that I should imagine that pcb and trace savings may balance it out? Just a guess of course but I'm hoping so :)

Back
Top Bottom