• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 EVGA FTW vs Asus Strix

Associate
Hi guys,

Given the fact that the Strixs out of box clocks have been released and the FTWs are TBA, if you take in the other facts for both cards, in your opinion which is going to be the stronger card out of the box / and at OC (given silicon lotto is out of this)?

I'm thinking I could have made a hasty decision on Friday amongst the 2pm buy panic. I think I just need some assurance that I should be fine with the FTW value for money wise as the price is similar.

The only thing to grind my gears per say is now the lack of EK waterblocks.

Soldato
if anything the specs look better on the FTW at this point 2 extra phases and an extra 8-pin instead of a 6-pin, area wise the heatsink on the FTW also calculates to be slightly bigger, but we are only talking a few cm2, the other thing is the FTW has 2 x 100mm fans where as the strix has 3 what like like 80mm fans, so the FTW will be much quieter

the 980ti Strix was a beast of a card, but with the 1080 it looks like Asus have skimped a bit compared to most of the other aftermarket cards

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered the FTW cards at 2pm too, however I am putting them straight under water and due to the unknown quality/design/performance status of the waterblock from EVGA, and the fact that EK aren't doing one means a water bridge won't be an option either, I have changed my order.

I considered the Strix, but went with the MSI Gaming X in the end as it will clock just fine and the back plate matches my build. I think I made the right decision....?

Anywho, just my feelings on the matter!
Cheers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I pre-ordered the ASUS Strix but it seems like that it might not have been the best choice. I'm waiting for a couple of more reviews but I think I'll cancel it and order MSI or Gigabyte instead. I want an EK waterblock so I won't be buying EVGA this time.

Although some or most of these overclocking issues seem to be shared across all 1080s, not just the Strix.

Soldato
Guy's the 980 FTW was voltage locked so there is a good chance the 1080 will be too.

This is pretty much deliberate to justify the existence of the Classy.

The 980 SC generally clocks better than the FTW edition for this reason. Reference card without the voltage limitation. A bit silly really :(

Last edited:
Associate
EVGA FTW gets my vote, the Asus looks ghastly. EVGA customer support is excellent too without the need for retailers to inflate prices to cover the costs of an RMA service because Asus's is atrocious.

Best

Wulf

Associate
I ordered the Asus Strix, having intended to buy an EVGA FTW. For me, the reasoning was that I couldn't see how fast the FTW would be and Asus has clearly designed things with similar priorities to EVGA and done so at a decent price point.

The fact that Asus have developed a new way of making boards (the hilariously named Auto Extreme technology) impressed me too. That, and the special RMA arrangement Asus have with Overclockers UK were the things that swung it for me. Details are here:
https://youtu.be/4gRpuurPsuc

Yes, it's a bit fugly, but then most cards are. The EVGA cards aren't much better looking, plus it's what's uinside that counts, and when the coolers are removed, it's the best looking board there has ever been. ;)

Associate
FWIW I just cancelled my Strix for the FTW mainly because of the loss of the 3rd display port for g-sync'd triple-head.

I don't need the second HDMI, despite having a Rift.

I'm fairly sure they'll both perform equally - so really it's all down to the bells and whistles and what kind of after-sale service you expect.

I bet Asus' impressive new automated manufacturing method allows them to put hundreds of already underpaid workers out of a job

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom