• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is a GPU Upgrade worth it?

Soldato
[email protected] - is it worth me upgrading from my 970 to a GTX980Ti on 1080 release and buying a 1440p GSYNC monitor for gaming or will my CPU be a bottleneck? If I want to do proper PC gaming, I want something bigger than my 24" screen now.

I'm actually toying with buying a PS4 now for living room gaming given the crazy costs of the 1080s and staying reasonably current but am torn because I love the modding scene. :( I do have a 55" panel in my living room which is OK for Steam Link but I'm getting annoyed with all the niggles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see your CPU being a bottleneck, not at that speed. a 1080 would be my go to, but 980ti's can be gotten cheap and is not THAT far behind a 1080 when overclocked.

Soldato
OP
Your cpu is fine. 1070 may be a good option if the 1080 price is too high

Cheers, I'll look into that and the benchmarks! :)

Quite surprised at how long this CPU has managed to keep up in all honesty.

If I get a 1440p GSYNC monitor, it looks like the 1070 is the best bang for buck then?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheers, I'll look into that and the benchmarks! :)

Quite surprised at how long this CPU has managed to keep up in all honesty.

If I get a 1440p GSYNC monitor, it looks like the 1070 is the best bang for buck then?

Yeah pretty much...

The 1080 is not a 4K card although certain reviews sites seem to think it is...

It's an overpriced oddball....:p

The 1070 will cream through 1440p and doesn't cost a silly amount of money...

Soldato
I was getting silly FPS in doom last night with everthing maxed out. I do wish people would stop using it as a benchmark saying "look, this card runs 4K modern titles". Doom isn't the least bit taxing. Try run GTAV with the grass on ultra or Witcher 3 maxed out then come back and say "it runs 4K".

Soldato
I was getting silly FPS in doom last night with everthing maxed out. I do wish people would stop using it as a benchmark saying "look, this card runs 4K modern titles". Doom isn't the least bit taxing. Try run GTAV with the grass on ultra or Witcher 3 maxed out then come back and say "it runs 4K".

Whats "silly fps"

Resolution?

Back
Top Bottom