Moss Bros bespoke experience

Permabanned
I am a boss. I don't wear suits.

Why would I spent many hundreds of pounds on a suit I will never wear? They are a relic of a bygone era.

No personal attacks.

e: for a wee bit of context, I am a 24-year-old who owns no less than 40 suits in various fits, styles and cuts. In my admittedly few years in wearing and owning suits, I am rather fastidious in my selection of new suits. So, as sorry as I am not to tell you you are clueless on this subject matter, I have to admit that you simply do not know what you are talking about and are either looking to troll or just be an idiot. :)

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
e: for a wee bit of context, I am a 24-year-old who owns no less than 40 suits in various fits, styles and cuts. In my admittedly few years in wearing and owning suits, I am rather fastidious in my selection of new suits. So, as sorry as I am not to tell you you are clueless on this subject matter, I have to admit that you simply do not know what you are talking about and are either looking to troll or just be an idiot. :)

Let's assume that a suit can cost anywhere between £100 to £1000 and just assume you've spent around £300 on each.

40 x £300 = £12,000

I call BS.

Permabanned
Let's assume that a suit can cost anywhere between £100 to £1000 and just assume you've spent around £300 on each.

40 x £300 = £12,000

I call BS.

You can call BS on any argument you fabricate in your head. That's the benefit of doing so.

Theophany only wears £10,000 Saville Row suits.

I'd never pay that much unless I won the Euromillions jackpot, but I certainly wouldn't take sartorial advice from a computer forum that has so often proved itself to be clueless on such issues.

Soldato
This is why you are a pleb who has no right voicing an opinion in this thread. :)

Im soon to be 23 and have one £100 suit (shirt, suit and trousers)... Damn..

Permabanned
Im soon to be 23 and have one £100 suit (shirt, suit and trousers)... Damn..

A lot of the suits I bought were at the cheaper end of the spectrum (as a poor graduate, I wore a lot of Primark and cheap M&S suits), hence why I have so many. Once you start buying more expensive suits you realise where the money goes.

That being said, I could've picked up a couple of Versace, Armani and Hugo Boss suits for less than £500 last week whilst outlet shopping and I quickly realised that the ill fit wasn't worth it. I was enamoured with a Prada three piece until I saw how poorly it fitted me when I put it on.

God's honest, the most comfortable suits I've bought have been William Hunt (beautiful, fashionable cuts) and Aqauscutum (conservative, timeless cuts) and I've never paid more than £200 for a two piece. When it comes to suits, you really do get what you pay for to a certain degree.

Don
I have 5 or 6 bespoke suits and have recently lost quite a bit of weight, hopefully I can take them back to the tailor that made them and get them altered rather than having to replace them

Man of Honour

40 suits?!

I'm 26 and I think I've owned about 5 and have only purchased 2!

Caporegime
if you want a decent suit and you're not buying bespoke then take a look at M&S

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000016.html

What sticks in my mind the most about that day, apart from the disconcerting efficiency of the machines, was the fact that designer-label brands were coming off the same production line as the “apparently” far less exclusive makes, such as Marks & Spencer [For the money, the British high street retailer, Marks & Spencer makes as good a suit as anyone. I rate them highly].

With machine-made, all manufacturers have pattern designers who create a basic pattern which, in “their” interpretation, would fit most people. So what you’ve got to do is be guided by the fit and the feel of a jacket around the neck and shoulders. Make this your priority.

If you’re in-between sizes, get the larger size and pay a high street alteration tailor £20-£30 to have it taken in or whatever. Don’t fool yourself that just because it's a Hugo Boss or Armani it’s a better fit than than the Marks & Spencer.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/.../best-british-menswear-suit-marks-and-spencer

I learned why the men who "swear by" tailors in Hong Kong are often wrong: rent hikes and profit gouging has led many of the most expensive clothing brands to manufacture in the developing world. Luxury British tailors Gieves & Hawkes will make a marvellous made-to-measure suit for you – in Mauritius.

This is all the more miserable because the finest hand-cut and sewn craftsmanship is British. The finest cloths are made in Britain. But British men buy clothes on a high street filled with products from Asia, cut to look like styles from Italy.

This year, M&S has changed all this. Buyers trawled our mills and factories for the best cloths and cutters and produced a stunning "Best of British" range, which is probably a poor title because these clothes are the best in the world. Chosen from historic M&S designs, they're some of the most desirable I've ever seen. The collection launched on Thursday.
[...]
For example, my suit was constructed in Crewe by Cheshire Bespoke - the best factory-scale tailors in the world. It is hand-finished. There is a floating canvas. It will last a lifetime. The cloth, which was hand-cut, is a gray flannel woven by J H Clissold & Son – they are among the best weavers in the world. Their mill is in Bradford.

Other "labels" in the M&S range include Alfred Brown of Bramley in Leeds and Abraham Moon and Sons of Guiseley – both long-established, world-class cloth mills. There are coats and jackets made by Cooper & Stollbrand of Manchester, and shoes by Cheaney of Desborough. And while I paid £800 for my suit and spent £300 on a jacket, they cost a fraction of the prices charged by Ralph Lauren and other designer brands who employ the same British craftsmen to make their most expensive merchandise.

Its not like you're going to have a label on the front saying M&S and the various supposed designer places either get their expensive off the rack suits made at the same places anyway or they get them manufactured cheaply in Asia.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd like to have a few more suits I rather like wearing them, and hope that the "uniform" of a suit will never go. However it depends on your industry - creative arty farty types then I can understand a more dress down attitude, or back of house staff and IT types as crawling on the floor to plug cables in or working in server rooms etc...

However in business if I were to turn up to a meeting or a conference and so on, I just couldn't take people seriously that turn up in jeans and t-shirt.

Perhaps I'm a snob? Perhaps I've been indoctrinated by working in big corporate environments and London - but even if a person wears a rubbish suit they look infinitely smarter than someone that doesn't.

You can never look smart without a suit in my opinion.

Soldato
I did try Moss Bros, it wasn't a great suit - I basically use it as fancy dress for festivals after giving up using it as a working suit.

My tailors is vastly superior, you're talking anywhere from £700-2500 for a suit but the quality and fit is superb.

Associate
Suddenly I feel alone in hating suits. They are restrictive, hot and uncomfortable. Certainly not a joy to put on. Ties - if you really really think about it - look utterly ridiculous.

Nah, I'm with you. I still own one, but have only worn it for my wedding, and one job nterview I went to 2 years ago, when they looked at me like I'd fallen out of a tree. Went with jeans and a shirt for interviews after that, and had a lot more success (English teaching jobs). People here are at least sensible enough to realise that insisting someone wears a suit in this kind of heat is just daft.

Soldato
Nah, I'm with you. I still own one, but have only worn it for my wedding, and one job nterview I went to 2 years ago, when they looked at me like I'd fallen out of a tree. Went with jeans and a shirt for interviews after that, and had a lot more success (English teaching jobs). People here are at least sensible enough to realise that insisting someone wears a suit in this kind of heat is just daft.

Or that a job as an English teacher doesn't demand you wear a suit. It's a relatively casual position compared to a lot of things, wearing a suit could make you seem less "down with the kids" and "hip"

daz

daz

Soldato
For £300 it won't be bespoke - it will be made to measure.

That means that the shape will be taken from something pre-cut and then altered to fit you.

Man of Honour
Or that a job as an English teacher doesn't demand you wear a suit. It's a relatively casual position compared to a lot of things, wearing a suit could make you seem less "down with the kids" and "hip"

The fact is that most businesses in 1st world countries follow the suit clothing as business wear and why not? It looks smart removes any preconception through choice of t-shirt, trouser choice etc... making the business arena a more even place.

Soldato
For £300 it won't be bespoke - it will be made to measure.

That means that the shape will be taken from something pre-cut and then altered to fit you.

You can get £300 bespoke suits these days. They're not cut in the UK and take a long time to be made but they are available.

Associate

Oh absolutely, hence why I enjoy it. Though, I actually only teach adults, generally after they're finished with their own work.

Seeing other people wearing suits actually makes me slightly uncomfortable. Maybe it's a hangover from my teenage hippie days, I don't know. The only people I ever see wearing them now, I avoid like the plague, as they're guaranteed to be about to try to convert me to whichever religion they're representing.

Back
Top Bottom