*** The Official Microsoft Surface Thread ***

Soldato
So, Microsoft made the announcement tonight. Two tablets made in house from Microsoft, one runs Windows 8 RT, the other runs full Windows 8, complete with Ivy Bridge processor. Both models come with a couple of rather "interesting" features, one of which is the integrated stand which is seamlessly integrated into the back of the tablet.

SYNd9.jpg

Official Website - http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

Surface Confirmed Specs:

OS - Windows RT
CPU - Tegra 3+ (It is confirmed to be a Tegra processor, but has only been referred to as Tegra 3+. Whether this means a higher powered offering is yet to be known.)
RAM - ???
Weight - 676g
Thickness - 9.3mm
Screen - 10.6" ClearType HD Display
Connections - microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Storage - 32GB and 64GB models
Battery - 31.5 W-h
Prices - ??? Not yet confirmed but "In line with other ARM devices"

Surface Pro confirmed Specs

OS - Windows 8 Pro
CPU - Intel Ivybridge but still unconfirmed
RAM - ???
Weight - 903g
Thickness - 13.5mm
Screen - 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
Connections - microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Storage - 64GB and 128GB models
Battery - 42 W-h
Prices - ??? Not yet confirmed but in line with Ultrabooks

Then comes the available accessories. First up the Touch Cover, a magnetic fabric cover that protects the screen of the tablet. Blatant Apple rip off you say? You would be right, unless apples smart cover was also a keyboard and trackpad!

A Type Cover is basically the same as above, but will feature real buttons like that on a laptop, for the traditional typing experience.

The Pro version is also compatible with a Digital Ink stylus which is sampled at 600dpi.

So a full windows tablet (the Pro version anyway) which doesn't weigh a metric ton, looks great and hopefully wont cost the earth. Could this be the end of the Ultrabook?

What are your opinions and are you interested? Slightly silly name aside, I personally think Microsoft have produced a stunner here, and can comfortably say that as long as the pricing is reasonable I can definitely see myself with a Pro version.

A few shiny pictures to whet your appetites :)

DyXv7.jpg

kAj71.jpg

RoVE3.jpg

qBhki.jpg

eJWNG.jpg

Teaser Video

Related Articles

The Verge "Hands On" Article

Engadget "Hands On" Article

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually think the RT would be enough for me, after using the Win8 demo on PC im more than happy what it can serve up Metro side of things, but the fact we get the mSD slot and USB 2.0, i nearly actually said "yay" by myself lol.

Also, can we expect IE10 to be a proper browser on the RT, not some horrible Mobile version?

also..finally..thank god...they got someone doing some decent advertising, I REALLY hope they keep that kind of video/ advertising attitude around it!

Pricing they said similar Arm based ones for teh RT, so is that 400-500 then?...wtih the pro being what....starting at 800?....I would hope cheaper, but cant see it really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I must admit, I need to read up more on what Windows RT brings to the table before I can pass judgement on it. Im honestly only interested in the full Windows 8 Pro version and if its as good as I hope it will be, it will be replacing my desktop, laptop and dashing any future plans I had to get an ARM based tablet from another manufacturer.

Also agree with you about the advertising, Microsoft need to keep that sort of marketing up. Its like the complete opposite of Apple's style of "bubbly" advertising. :)

Soldato
OP
According to the Verge, Nvidia has confirmed that the RT version runs some form of Tegra Processor. Rumoured to be a Tegra 3+ but this has not been confirmed.

"Nvidia just sent out a brief note in the wake of Microsoft's Surface announcements this afternoon that the Windows RT version of the tablet — the one that runs an ARM processor — will be using an Nvidia Tegra chipset. That's particularly interesting considering Microsoft's existing (and longstanding) partnership with Qualcomm for Snapdragon support in Windows Phone. The companies haven't shared exactly which Tegra will be inside the Surface, but we already know that Nvidia will be shipping the so-called Tegra 3+ on Windows RT tablets, so there's no reason to suspect the Surface won't get it as well."

Associate
Also, can we expect IE10 to be a proper browser on the RT, not some horrible Mobile version?

It's exactly the same as the Win 8 version. Full browser :) But Mozilla and Google are also porting their browsers, again the full versions.

Soldato
More concerned by the fact that one has an i5 CPU in it. Coupled with a 42whr battery that could end up being a hot tablet, literally. Good stuff from MS though. Lets just hope they don't balls up on availability Zune style.

Soldato
Simply: love them!! Thin, light and lovely looking.
Finally a tablet that will compete with iPad. I bet many people will switch, if price won't be putting off.
Am thinking of selling my new iPad 4g now.

Does anyone know when we could expect them??
Not sure which one I would go for... Will normal apps go on RT?

Associate
Does anyone know when we could expect them??
Not sure which one I would go for... Will normal apps go on RT?

Possibly October-ish for the Win RT tablet (roughly when Windows 8/RT is meant to be released). But the Intel tablet (Win 8 Pro) will apparently be released 3 months after it..

And by "normal apps" i take it you mean Windows desktop apps? Then no they wont run on the RT tablet. Only the Win 8 Pro tablet will run them, that will run anything Windows 7 can.

I would have definitely got the Intel version, but if it's going to be released months later i dont know if i can wait and might just go for RT.

Soldato
Possibly October-ish for the Win RT tablet (roughly when Windows 8/RT is meant to be released). But the Intel tablet (Win 8 Pro) will apparently be released 3 months after it..

And by "normal apps" i take it you mean Windows desktop apps? Then no they wont run on the RT tablet. Only the Win 8 Pro tablet will run them, that will run anything Windows 7 can.

I would have definitely got the Intel version, but if it's going to be released months later i dont know if i can wait and might just go for RT.

Thanks,
So intel one possible next year...

May do same...go for RT and wait...
Need to find some more info about RT and apps and make a decision.
And i5 in a tablet yay!!

Man of Honour
The Surface Pro looks like it will be great.

Though they won't shift them in bulk unless the price is around £500~, if it's closer to £1000~ people won't bother with it.

Considering the Surface Pro specs, I think it'll be at least £700, let's hope I'm wrong.

Getting one anyway though. :cool: :p

Back
Top Bottom