Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Soldato
Reading this thread and thinking about this mobo, however it seems to be a load of talk of bugs and firmware updates! Is this mobo that bad or is it just because you're all doing loads of tweaking (which I wont be doing)!

It's always been stable. I purchased memory that was not on the supported list so could not run xmp until latest bios. Which was my fault.

I don't think anyone has had any major issues. Just tweaks and setup queries

And no firmware update. Just flash the bios to latest on first boot which is what you should do to any mobo

Associate
I recently suffered with memory leakage. I found after large downloads my computer would go up to 95% ram usage plus and then crash.

After doing loads of digging it turned out to be the killer network manager software which was installed from the gigabyte website when I built my PC in june. There was a new version out but the software doesn't auto update nor does it tell you there is an update available.

If anyone is using this software then have a look here to see if you need to update.

http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads

Associate
I think the only benefit to Killer port is the QoS, so not really imo.

Anyone else still got the audio issue? Did a fresh install of windows and still once a day the audio craps out :(

Associate
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me.
When i plug my mobile phone into any of the rear or front panel usb2.0 or usb.3.0s, my phone reads "slow charge". From 1% battery, after a 7 hour charge, my phone has only charged 80%.
I have tried multiple usb cables, all charge my phone to 100% in ~2hrs on my laptop and 1.5hr from the wall.
Am i missing an option?

Soldato
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me.
When i plug my mobile phone into any of the rear or front panel usb2.0 or usb.3.0s, my phone reads "slow charge". From 1% battery, after a 7 hour charge, my phone has only charged 80%.
I have tried multiple usb cables, all charge my phone to 100% in ~2hrs on my laptop and 1.5hr from the wall.
Am i missing an option?

What phone is it ? I use the usb c cable which fast charges my phone.

Associate
It is the Xperia Z5.
I am concerned that my usb's aren't working as they should. I haven't tried the usb3.1 connection yet. But even if that were to charge at a normal rate, it still leaves all the other ports not performing as i think they should.
2xusb3.0 from the front panel header = 10hrs to charge the phone.
2xusb2.0 on the back panel = 10hrs
2xusb3.0 on the back panel = 10hrs

The same phone from a 7yr laptop = 2hrs
my brothers pc = 2hrs

Soldato
Well it could be down to many things. Have you flashed the latest bios, got the drivers updated? Looked at some of the utilities on the gigabyte site ? I am sure i needed to download something. Also power options. Maybe set that to high performance.

Associate
Thanks for the help.
I have the latest bios. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Power option is already set to performance, i tried changing it but no change to the usb's.
I had a look at the Gigabyte utilities list. There is a lot to download and test.... Any clue which one to try?
Also, could it be something to do with my psu cables?
My corsair rgb keyboard and my mamba mouse both have enough power. My music streamer ii+ also runs from tge usbs as it should. But im aware that these probably dont compare to the power demands of a charging Xperia z5.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Associate
Thanks for the help.
I have the latest bios. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Power option is already set to performance, i tried changing it but no change to the usb's.
I had a look at the Gigabyte utilities list. There is a lot to download and test.... Any clue which one to try?
My corsair rgb keyboard and my mamba mouse both have enough power. My music streamer ii+ also runs from tge usbs as it should. But im aware that these probably dont compare to the power demands of a charging Xperia z5.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Have you tried charging other phones?

Associate
Thanks for the help.

Thanks again,

Phil.

You sure its not the cable?

Associate
Definitely not the cable. Tried 3 now, all charge normal from my laptop and wall charger.
I tried a different phone last night. Same result, 8hrs charge = ~80%.
I'll have a look into all the different utilities available for the board, but not holding much optimism, as im sure there would be a lot of people with the same question as me (a secret program that enables normal usb function).
Out of interest, I downloaded ampere for my phone. I don't know how accurate it is, but that reports between 80 and 260ma being provided by the usb. It fluctuates up and down between these figures.

Associate
Ampere app says the same for my phone, though my phone can only charge up to 5v/1a.

Your Z5 with Qualcomms 'Quick charge 2.0' can charge 5v/3a, which I think no PC USB will provide. Your phone will charge way quicker with the original charger, so I'd just use that tbh

Associate
Ampere app says the same for my phone, though my phone can only charge up to 5v/1a.

Your Z5 with Qualcomms 'Quick charge 2.0' can charge 5v/3a, which I think no PC USB will provide. Your phone will charge way quicker with the original charger, so I'd just use that tbh

Thanks for the reply. I have never charged my phone with a quick charger.
I am currently using the wall charger. But my problem isn't that the pc is slower at charging than the wall charger. My problem is that it shouldn't be taking 1hr for 10% charge. This basically rules out using my pc to charge, which is very inconvenient. All my old computers, and my current laptop never had to wait roughly 10hrs for a full charge. As it is taking significantly longer now, it makes me concerned that there is a fault with the usb's. Thus, losing on sell on value and i a niggle that my other equipment may not actually be performing at 100%. If anything, this motherboard should be equal if not much faster than all my previous as it is advertised as having Gigabyte on/off charge which when installed should in theory boost the power to that of a 1.5a wall charger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom