i7 6700k temps lower over time

Soldato
Just a curiosity question. When I first setup my 6700k (under TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A) it ran significantly hotter than it does now in same system with same settings. Temps seemed to slowly but progressively get lower with each startup, heavy load, shutdown cycle. End result is it is now running about 7c, maybe a little more lower than when new. It's not CPU TIM set because I have used many different coolers. The TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A is uses to verify baseline, usually ran before and after a test session., and when I was getting these lower temp discrepancies I would re-seat and test to verify. I never had a temperature rise, now lower in all of the remounting and use. Is it me going crazy or have others had this happen? Especially experienced user like yourself.

OcUK Staff
Paste may well be curing which helps with temps for sure. Some pastes take a few heat cycles to be at there absolute best in terms of performance.

No need to remove your cooler just get on with enjoying your PC. I am surprised you bother to check temps that often I don't on my everyday rigs.

Soldato
OP
If it is TIM seating it can only be the chip to IHS seating, not the IHS to cooler.

As I said originally
When I first setup my 6700k (under TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A) it ran significantly hotter than it does now in same system with same settings. Temps seemed to slowly but progressively get lower with each startup, heavy load, shutdown cycle. End result is it is now running about 7c, maybe a little more lower than when new. It's not CPU TIM set because I have used many different coolers. The TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A is uses to verify baseline, usually ran before and after a test session., and when I was getting these lower temp discrepancies I would re-seat and test to verify. I never had a temperature rise, now lower in all of the remounting and use. Is it me going crazy or have others had this happen? Especially experienced user like yourself.
It is not CPU IHS to cooler TIM.
I mount coolers at least a couple times a week to test them
TRUE Spirit 140 rev A is baseline test cooler.
Temperatures over about 2 months time got slowly lower before becoming stable.
Temps never rose after a reseat for baseline test, only got progressively lower.

Soldato
OP
The question is not about seating and / or reseating of cooler.

The question is why did temps get progressively lower.

It would seem either you are not not understanding what I think is pretty well explained or you do not want to be bothered by this.

If you don't want to be helpful that is fine. There is no reason for you to act arrogant and rude with by not even attempting to understand and answer my question. I just assumed OcUK and it's staff would be interested in this kind of unusual CPU behavior.

I test coolers. At least one new cooler a week. I know how to 'apply TIM and seat' a cooler very well. Re-mounting the coolers I use as standards to verify consistent performance in test sessions have always been consistant until I started usiing this 6700k with stock settings.

For some reason unknown to me this 6700k cpu got progressively lower temps for better part of 2 months with no changes in settings, coolers, or TIM seatings. Re-seating always gave me same temps as previous seating. Each day's results were always consistent, but looking at testing over the period of months, the 'reference cooler test' done each day of testing shows gradual but consistently lower idle and load temps.

I just though you as a professional and member of OcUK staff may be interested in this anomaly. and may have some idea why this had happened. The last couple of months there have been no changes in temps. It seems whatever the cause it ended after first couple of months.

Instead you act like I'm imposing on you by asking if in your extensive use, testing, overclocking etc. you had ever seen or heard of this kind of thing happening.

I you don't what to be helpful, don't reply. You wouldn't be the first OcUK staff to show this kind of attitude to customers and forum members.

Associate
Could it be the TIM under the IHS curing over time? Or perhaps the IHS itself was/is slightly concave or convex, and the repeated mounts are flattening it out, making better contact?

Did you take delta temps rather than just noting actual temps? If it's still happening, Take the delta, and compare those. It will give you a better picture of how much of a fluctuation there is.

Fixed fan speeds or variable?

Perhaps the repeated applications and cleaning of TIM on the IHS have filled in the tiny imperfections of the surface better over the many times you've done it, or maybe have given it a very slight lapping.

Maybe you have a CPU with superpowers. I think this is most lilkey :D

Soldato
OP
Good suggestions and questions.

McGraw,
Changing motherboards now would probably make no difference. The gradual lowering of temp ended about a month ago.

implosiveturnip,
Die to IHS is my best guess too.

I always use delta temps based on cooler intake air temp, not room. So virtually no possibility of inaccurate cooler airflow temps.

Same applies to fan speed, fan used, humidity, barometric pressure, even same sound level and mind set. :D

Not likely. I don't pure clean CPU, just wipe it good and clean. Same with reference cooler. Always use same TIM. ave used same procedure with other new CPUs and coolers and never had any kind of temperature creep.

While super powers would be nice, I'm leaning more toward your first guess. :D
At least it as a more rational / logical bases. :p

OcUK Staff
When testing pastes we made a load tester with controlled loads, Even spreads, lapped surface, even pressure etc etc..

We found some pastes improved over the first few cycles due to a curing type effect.

We did study this in detail. I helped with developing thermal pastes. It's not that I am arrogant. We tested over 50 thermal pastes like this so we built up a fine picture ourselves of what was going on.

My main point still remains the CPU temps are fine so just use your PC.

Soldato
OP
When testing pastes we made a load tester with controlled loads, Even spreads, lapped surface, even pressure etc etc..

We found some pastes improved over the first few cycles due to a curing type effect.

We did study this in detail. I helped with developing thermal pastes. It's not that I am arrogant. We tested over 50 thermal pastes like this so we built up a fine picture ourselves of what was going on.

My main point still remains the CPU temps are fine so just use your PC.

Your saying "My main point still remains the CPU temps are fine so just use your PC" has nothing to do with the question I asked.

I am using and enjoying my PC.

It seems you have no idea what or why my 6700k temps slowly become lower .. and that is not a problem. But the fact that you do now say you do not know why does leave room for doubt about your ego and possible arrogance. ;)

Does this 'we' you refer to include stulid and his extensive TIM testing done back in 2012? The one pinned at the top of this forum? The one with no baseline temperature being monitored? The one he didn't even have a thermometer in the room he was testing in and after being asked repeatedly what the baseline temp was said "The results were all gathered later at evening/night and on cool days, I avoided the four day heatwave we have had this summer." I have no idea how accurately you do things, but I assume your standards of professionalism greatly exceed the pinned TIM test and related temperature data.

OcUK Staff
No it does not. It means controlled testing with a thermal paste manufactuter in lab conditions.

I actually believe your talking nonsense. That's what I believe.. I tested a very large sample your testing is virtually zero. I am not being arrogant just stating fact. If you take it that way fine.

Soldato
OP
No it does not. It means controlled testing with a thermal paste manufactuter in lab conditions.

I actually believe your talking nonsense. That's what I believe.. I tested a very large sample your testing is virtually zero. I am not being arrogant just stating fact. If you take it that way fine.
I"m glad it was not related to stulids play at 'testing'. May I ask what paste manufacturer and who's lab? I am very interested in seeing the findings.

Sorry, but your continual dismissive attitude of how my 6700k slowing got better temperatures over a couple of months is obvious arrogance. How cna it not be? You obviously think yourself superior to me. That is the basic definition of arrogance.

My 6700k did what it did, regardless of how the many your have used did. How many of those you did use were over a period of more than a month or two? I'm assuming few if any, and that most of your use is for a few day, a week, or two at most while testing all kinds of different overclock settings. So even if they were doing similar things to mine it is very likely you would not have noticed it. This is not about the quality of your testing or it's accuracy, but that the way you use CPUs is not conducive to seeing the kind of changes I saw in mine. If I had setup mine, made a few trial test runs and started overclocking and adjusting setting over the following weeks I most likely would not have noticed the gradually improving temps either.

All of these things contribute to my believe iit is your arrogance that keeps your from even considering these differences and the possibility it could happen.

Back
Top Bottom