Help I am new to all this

Associate
I am looking for a new PC my5 year old one is 32bit and now very slow and keeps freezing and crashing
I have a good monitor but need a keyboard and mouse.
The games I play are Total war series(Attilla very slow) FIFA, the Golf club,Elite dangerous
and Skyrim
I do like the eye candy.
I was hoping to spend around £500.00 and would like the system to come built up but could get built if it saves some money.
I also have an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card, could this be utilised
Any help would be appreciated

Associate
OP
Thanks Andi
I will check that out. It just seems to be so confusing as to whats best.
I do live near on overclockers store in Stoke so it may be worth making a visit

Soldato
It just seems to be so confusing as to whats best.

Just for an idea of what to aim for:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £523.23
(includes shipping: £12.30)

With a Z170 mobo, it's upgradable (i5-K/i7-K), and add more storage and/or memory as needed later on.

B-Grade video card is what would give you most bang for buck, or spend more for new.

I do live near on overclockers store in Stoke so it may be worth making a visit

Good idea.

Associate
Danny, a forum user who thinks they need a new computer vs a simple windows reinstall because their system is freezing and crashing is not the kind of person who would benefit from:

More than 3 SATA ports
More than 2 RAM slots
More than 1 PCIE 16X slot
A K-sku CPU
A Z series board

When you spec for other people, spec for THEM, not for yourself. Not being rude, just being direct.
By the way, I know of almost nobody, save for maybe my mother, who would not need more than 240GB of storage, be it high speed storage or not. Tack a 1TB HDD onto that build, kill the Z board.
There are better 240GB SSDs than the Force LE at that price btw.

Soldato
Danny, a forum user who thinks they need a new computer vs a simple windows reinstall because their system is freezing and crashing is not the kind of person who would benefit from:

More than 3 SATA ports
More than 2 RAM slots
More than 1 PCIE 16X slot
A K-sku CPU
A Z series board

When you spec for other people, spec for THEM, not for yourself. Not being rude, just being direct.
By the way, I know of almost nobody, save for maybe my mother, who would not need more than 240GB of storage, be it high speed storage or not. Tack a 1TB HDD onto that build, kill the Z board.
There are better 240GB SSDs than the Force LE at that price btw.

So at the end of your free lessons designed to puff up your already inflated opinion of yourself by putting someone down, all your sage counsel boils down to: cheaper motherboard and add a 1TB HDD rightaway. Maybe next time you could actually be direct, instead of being so melodramatic and egotistic.

And the better SSD's which you helpfully do not mention. Cool. You are really smart and stuff.

But I understand your reluctance to actually recommend alternative full specs. Given that what appears to be your first fairly-full spec on these forums, just a few hours ago, contains a recommendation for a non-SLI motherboard for "SLI options later". Yeah, it's safer to just criticize other posters. And you don't really do a good job of that, either.

So here's some free advice back at you: get off your high horse. Because the fall will hurt you. You will make mistakes, as you have done with the motherboard you recommended, just like every one of us. And also, not every thing you wouldn't personally do is a "mistake" or "dumb", etc. Most of the time, this will just be down to your narcissism, unless you can find an actual error and point it out for the benefit of everyone.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your comments.
I didn' want to cause any rifts with anyone.
My main reason for change is I need 64 bit to run a couple of games I want, Cities Skylines and LOTR.
This is probably the last one I will buy as I retire in the summer so probably wont be able to afford another one.
I am going up to overclockers in the next few weeks, I have been told that there are new graphics cards out soon which may lead to one or two bargains on the current ones.
All the tech language is a bit alien to me so I think face to face is the best idea.
Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for your comments.
I didn' want to cause any rifts with anyone.

Not your fault in the least, mate.

The guy has a history of doing this (in his brief history of posting on the forum) and making personal attacks in other posts.

All the tech language is a bit alien to me so I think face to face is the best idea.
Thanks

Agreed. All the best with your build.

Associate
Not your fault in the least, mate.

The guy has a history of doing this (in his brief history of posting on the forum) and making personal attacks in other posts.

I wasn't going to mention anything earlier, but yes his posting history is interesting.

Good luck with your new build. As long as it works and you're happy with what you get, then don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all
Just a couple of questions
I have been advised that I may be better off with a 1 or 2 TB hard drive as I don't play games online orplay FPS I usually go for the strategy type of game so I don't need to be so quick
Also what is meant by a B grade graphics cars?
I have been advised to get a 2 or 4GB graphics card, does this one fit the bill (**B Grade** Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCUII TOP 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card= £119.99 )
Any help will be appreciated

Associate
B-grade items only come with a 90 day warranty. The official OCUK description is:

B Grade items may have been used, have damaged packaging, missing accessories or a combination of these.

Some items may have scuff marks or slight scratches but should otherwise be an operable product.

If you're willing to take a chance though, you can get some really good deals. You said you've got an R7 series card already, which one?

A 2GB graphics card may leave you short of VRAM in the future, so 4GB would be better. Problem is, without going B-grade you won't get one in budget. I have an R9 280X at home and it will be perfectly fine for what you want. It's effectively the old Radeon HD7970, which I still consider a decent card.

In a modern PC I would always put an SSD in as the main boot drive. A regular hard drive is fine for bulk storage and games, but with an SSD you can literally boot from cold in seconds and it makes the whole PC more responsive - no need to wait for the disk to spin up/read etc. A 2TB HDD would most likely be overkill for your system unless you have a lot of games or masses of photos. 1TB would be fine.

Soldato
In a modern PC I would always put an SSD in as the main boot drive. A regular hard drive is fine for bulk storage and games, but with an SSD you can literally boot from cold in seconds and it makes the whole PC more responsive - no need to wait for the disk to spin up/read etc.

This. If you don't need your games on SSD, then even a 120GB SSD boot drive + 1TB HDD. Both together only about £10 more than a single 2TB HDD, and will make your system so much snappier in general.

Associate
OP
Thanks OC
Got sorted with a 4GB card - I5 processor - 64bit system Win 10
Tried all the games that wouldn't work very well before, now they are superb.
Happy days

Thanks for all your comments

Back
Top Bottom