Facebook Check In - Public Internet

Soldato
Hello,

My partner owns a barber shop and currently offers free WIFI to customers, a local pub to us has their free wifi setup so you have to check in on facebook to be able to use the internet. She is quite keen on doing this as it's basically free (apart from setup) advertising.

I've had a google and search on facebook but the available router models seem to be US based, I can't really find much info for the UK market.

Has anyone set this up before and could suggest a suitable router?

Thanks

Soldato
1. this is an open connection not secured? or secured?
2. so it works the same as business you get blocked by a check-in system

personally i would refuse to login.
1. i because it could be an open network
2. i dont' have facebook (many people have gone away from it) but still billions i agree

to do this?
you could do this without facebook on most business Wireless access points & many Good Home Access points.

Just setup guest mode & create User/PW

with facebook you will have to contact facebook to find UK suitable routers.

Soldato
OP
You can choose to not check in afaik although most seem to check in at the local pub.

It's just going to be a guest WIFI for anyone to use whilst waiting.

I've had a look at those options Caged but they seem to be APs do you know if any routers?

Caporegime
You just plug the AP into the router. Advantage of buying access points is that you can put them up on the ceiling or use more than one if you need improved coverage.

Soldato
OP
You just plug the AP into the router. Advantage of buying access points is that you can put them up on the ceiling or use more than one if you need improved coverage.

True, I was just trying to get rid of the rubbish Zen router at the same time. I'll try and find some specific models on the respective websites.

Cheers

Caporegime
If you do a Meraki webinar then you get a free access point with 3 years of licensing.

Can't get cheaper than that really :D. You just need to make it sound like you work for a company and are considering deploying Meraki wireless solutions.

Soldato
A client was using Openmesh for his restaurant and it worked well for the past couple of years, but then they updated the cloud controller which they found too difficult to use. Then there was a firmware update which caused the AP to crash when it's scheduled to turn the wifi off, so had to manually flash an older one and disable automatic updates.

I replaced it with a Unifi AC-Pro, which works a lot better, in stabilty, ease of use, and range.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asus has a firmware for the AC68U that supports this.

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.2717
Facebook Wi-Fi special version, turn your business into a Wi-Fi hotspot, read more: https://www.facebook.com/business/facebook-wifi

* Please note this service is provided by Facebook, please check the facebook Wi-Fi website to make sure the support list and status.
* This service will not work at regions without Facebook services.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info and options. Looking at the Open-Mesh I assume she just needs to buy one of their APs and set it up?

Also looked at that Asus but it's abit out of her price range unfortunately :(

Soldato
Thanks for the info and options. Looking at the Open-Mesh I assume she just needs to buy one of their APs and set it up?

Also looked at that Asus but it's abit out of her price range unfortunately :(

Register for a free CloudTrax account, login, add the MAC address of the AP and configure it.

Back
Top Bottom