Chromecast audio's in ceiling

Soldato
I'm considering putting some ceiling speakers into a few rooms - bathroom/kitchen/utility and toilet (maybe master bedroom too)

I was considering using small bluetooth amps to drive them so i can just put tunes on when i'm in the bath or whatever, and can stream radio etc - however I am wondering the chromecast might be a good option as it now allows you to cast to multiple rooms.
One concern is volume control for each amp if they are inaccessible but presumably I can just set them to as loud as I would ever have it and then you can control the volume from the source?

anyone see any huge flaws in my plan?!

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
That's not a bad idea at all. Sound's like a really good way of doing it. I'd set them all to Max volume, and control the volume properly from whatever bluetooth device is playing to it.

Soldato
Looking at setting something like this up - is a Chomecast+amp 'better' than just a bluetooth amp?

I realise one is wifi, the other is bluetooth, but is there a practical advantage to one or the other?

Soldato
OP
Looking at setting something like this up - is a Chomecast+amp 'better' than just a bluetooth amp?

I realise one is wifi, the other is bluetooth, but is there a practical advantage to one or the other?

My reasoning was really that having a wee amp + Chromecast means you always have the ability to replace the input to the amp, the amps are cheap and with a cheap Bluetooth one the quality is usually inconsistent - plus with the Chromecast audio you can have a very basic multiroom setup with them...

Associate
bluetooth=you need the source ie mobile or tablet close to the amp
wifi=you can use anywhere within your wifi signal.
also if i cast through my mobile using google music app and i can then turn phone off and it still plays OR i can cast from my pc. hope this makes sense?

Soldato
My reasoning was really that having a wee amp + Chromecast means you always have the ability to replace the input to the amp, the amps are cheap and with a cheap Bluetooth one the quality is usually inconsistent - plus with the Chromecast audio you can have a very basic multiroom setup with them...

bluetooth=you need the source ie mobile or tablet close to the amp
wifi=you can use anywhere within your wifi signal.
also if i cast through my mobile using google music app and i can then turn phone off and it still plays OR i can cast from my pc. hope this makes sense?

Thanks chaps. Have picked up one of those £14 Chomecast Audios, and will look into mini-amps.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom