Triple channel using separate individual sticks - x58

Associate
So after having a hard time finding triple channel kits for decent prices my options are:

16gb kit for about £50
12gb of individual 4gb sticks for £30 total

Now I dont need 16gb and would prefer the triple channel so I am wondering if anyone knows if I bought 3 sticks of Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 would it run in triple or will I have problems?

Thanks for looking.

Caporegime
It should be fine. :) I have run triple channel with three completely different sticks before (not even the same brand!) so the fact that yours have the exact same model number should guarantee success! :p

What do you think 'triple channel kits' are, other than three identical sticks in a packet? ;)

Associate
OP
It should be fine. :) I have run triple channel with three completely different sticks before (not even the same brand!) so the fact that yours have the exact same model number should guarantee success! :p

What do you think 'triple channel kits' are, other than three identical sticks in a packet? ;)

Oh I know the "kits" are just 3 sticks BUT I have heard nightmare stories about x58 ram configurations even using the same size/speed sticks.

My worry is I have seen some people have trouble mixing 2 dual channel kits together and the motherboard refusing to enter dual/triple channel even though they are the same sticks/kits.

I might have just convinced myself to ditch this idea, it seems like a lot of extra hassle if it does go **** up.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies but was also wondering about speed, I currently have 1600mhz but notice that 1333 is a lot cheaper in some places, would it be a big problem to get the slower RAM or will it be a large performance cut?

Back
Top Bottom