Windows 10

So I very nearly got stung by a stealth windows 10 install a few moments ago. I was merrily working on a data tracking spreadsheet for work and excel crashed losing at least 20 minutes of work - annoying but not as annoying as the next notification that says windows 10 update is installing...

I'm now stuck in windows update as it won't let me remove the update until I have installed it - doh. I removed the install file manually but it's still locked out. Any ideas?

Try installing GWX Control Panel and deactivating it from there.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

You can control them with the pro version?

Not fully no, you can just defer so that it updates later.

Man of Honour
You can control them with the pro version?

Depends what your level of requirement is - if you like to be fully hands on then no.

Its a shame Windows 10 has many potentially great features shackled by some exceedingly limited perspective in the implementation.

V F

V F

Soldato
Depends what your level of requirement is - if you like to be fully hands on then no.

Its a shame Windows 10 has many potentially great features shackled by some exceedingly limited perspective in the implementation.

Yet installs drivers when you don't want them. :(

Soldato
A new one me:

Just imaged a 2tb drive from a new machine with Macrium and copied back to an ssd and apart from Macrium telling me it had shrunk the partition (the ssd was only 250gb) everything went smooth. However, as soon as I boot with ssd and the old image I get the windows 10 splash screen and then the 'we need to restart your pc' message. Any ideas?

I've gone into re-install without keeping settings/data etc but I left that after about 20 minutes on 1% :eek:

I'm guessing something's up...

Man of Honour
I wouldn't go from a single 980 to SLI 780s - might be fair bit faster in some stuff but less VRAM for the scenarios that are more likely to use that power and unless you have one of the better clocking 780s a fair step back when SLI isn't working.

Soldato
I can't find anything that sorts my exact problem on the interwebs, so, OcUK, can you help me :p

When i turn my pc on, it goes to a log-in screen, one profile 'Ryan' to which i apparently don't know the password, and the other is to my microsoft account, to which i do know my password. Firstly, i don't want to have to input a password for either account... Secondly, this 'Ryan' account doesn't show up in my 'user accounts' so i can't edit it.

Problem to sort. Either remember my password to my Microsoft account and log in automatically, or just log in to either account automatically.

Again, I have googled this, and the 'require password on startup' box is definitely UNchecked.

Back
Top Bottom