** Official Recording/Streaming Tips & Tricks Exchange **

Soldato
Should be fine on crossfire/sli as i know plenty that stream with both. It's changed a little since then, OBS Studio is out now which has better support for most things. You look ready to go, software, hardware and internet wise.

Whats the best way of recording my gameplay to a file as well as streaming without capturing any extra obs overlays? Would I need to use DXtory alongside OBS or does the new OBS allow me to do this?

Soldato
Whats the best way of recording my gameplay to a file as well as streaming without capturing any extra obs overlays? Would I need to use DXtory alongside OBS or does the new OBS allow me to do this?

OBS alongside Dxtory.

It won't capture any OBS overlays as that's only within OBS not the actual game. So as long as your computer can handle recording/streaming at the same time you should be good.

Soldato
So would I 1st record with DXtory but stream that video output to OBS which then streams to Twitch?

Not sure what your asking, you'd be streaming and recording at the same time.

I'd stream then while streaming record what you need to. That would then allow your stream to continue going and then start/stop record if and when needed.

Soldato
Not sure what your asking, you'd be streaming and recording at the same time.

I'd stream then while streaming record what you need to. That would then allow your stream to continue going and then start/stop record if and when needed.

I want to stream whatever I am playing via OBS including overlays etc to Twitch. At the same time I want to record all of my game play footage (so the whole stream) but without any kind of OBS extras (overlays etc) to a file. Hope that makes sense :p

Soldato
I want to stream whatever I am playing via OBS including overlays etc to Twitch. At the same time I want to record all of my game play footage (so the whole stream) but without any kind of OBS extras (overlays etc) to a file. Hope that makes sense :p

Yeah just stream with OBS and record with Dxtory. You won't get any of the overlays as they are only added via OBS, when recording with Dxtory it won't go through OBS so will just be the raw gameplay footage.

Soldato
Yeah just stream with OBS and record with Dxtory. You won't get any of the overlays as they are only added via OBS, when recording with Dxtory it won't go through OBS so will just be the raw gameplay footage.

Ah ok thanks :)

I'm sure the answer hasn't changed, but I take it i cant hide the steam overlay from Dxtory (OBS doesn't show it with game capture).

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Fallout 4 video I'm working on appears to have a slight audio sync issue. I know that I can use handbrake to fix this, but was wondering if the option in Premiere Pro to use constant bit rate for rendering, rather than variable bit rate, will re-sync the audio+video?

Of course, the downside to doing that is that there is only one pass during the rendering stage, thus I assume the image quality will be sub-optimal. In theory, to counteract that I've simply used a very high bit rate - which is what I normally use for VBR.

Edit : that didn't work. Looks like I'll have to use handbrake - which worked.

------

On a separate note, I've now bought the AT2020 microphone, though I decided to hold on the pop filter and arm for now, these I will get sooner or later. For those that use this microphone or ones like it, what did you think of the sound out of the box without filters and other attachments? At first, I couldn't even get it to work at all; I thought I'd sorted the problem by plugging in my speaker cable from the back of the IO shield to the microphone, though in the end trying out other usb ports / more fiddling and a pc restart has done the trick.

So far, what I've noticed is that if I turn the 'monitor' setting on it up (see pic), the audio is bolder, but with too much 'interference' (if that's the right word). Reducing that value will remove it, but make my voice sound too quiet. I've altered the volume in the control panel, too.

Can someone with experience of this / condenser microphones offer any pearls of wisdom? :)

5mbmh3.png

rtjk43.png

2en0nqp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So far, what I've noticed is that if I turn the 'monitor' setting on it up (see pic), the audio is bolder, but with too much 'interference' (if that's the right word). Reducing that reading will remove it, but make my voice sound too quiet. I've altered the volume in the control panel, too.

Can someone with experience of this / condenser microphones offer any pearls of wisdom? :)

"Monitor" suggests that it has some form of realtime monitoring built into it... is there somewhere on the mic where you could plug in headphones? If so then I'd wager the monitor volume will be controlling how loud the signal to them is... (I'd be surprised if it affects the recorded sound)... But I've not owned this mic so can't be sure

My advice is you ideally want to be really close to the mic - not so close that you'd touch the mic with your tongue if you stuck it fully out but maybe close enough that if your tongue was about 2-3 times longer it would just touch the mic... but have it slightly off-axis - in other words you want to be looking straight at your screen and talking directly forwards, but have the mic pointed at your mouth from slightly to the side. This will help avoid too harsh popping or breathing sounds into the mic (even with a pop filter this helps)...

Once your positioning is good do a test recording saying a decent few sentences and then another where you use your keyboard/mouse/controller a bit and be about as aggressive with the buttons as you think you're likely to get in a heated moment. Listen back to it and if you can hear the clicking a bit too well, dial the sensitivity back on the mic a bit and try again. You're looking for a balance where your voice still comes through fairly clearly but you can't hear tons of unwanted noises...

Unfortunately sound stuff is very much not an exact science - every setup, room, voice etc. is slightly different so you just have to do lots of testing until it sounds okay

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The idea is that some people like to be able to hear themselves as they are recording (especially whilst wearing headphones which cancel out a lot of noise)... but you want that signal to be realtime (as even a slight delay would sound very weird) so a lot of interfaces (a USB mic is basically a mic + interface combo) provide a monitor output which sends the (analogue) mic signal straight back to headphones before it's converted to a digital signal and sent to the computer...

I would imagine this means you can also select your mic as an audio output device in windows - in which case it would send PC audio to the same monitor output (and be blended with the mic monitor signal)... if not then it seems like a slightly weird feature...

It's similar to our setup - only we have 2 of everything! Our interface has 2 mics plugged into it and it has 2 monitor outputs, but the routing is all configurable in software so we have it set so that one monitor output receives a blend of the first PC and both mic monitoring signals... and the other monitor output recieves a blend of the second PC and both mic monitoring signals (the 2nd PC is also plugged into the interface which is connected to the first PC via USB)... That way we can hear our own signals and each other's voices perfectly while both playing in headphones and recording the two mic signals... Took a lot of research and messing about to get it all working but really happy with it now :)

Associate
*holy thread bump, batman* This thread has been really interesting to read thought. I have been uploading to my channel for about a year or so now, but recently (the last few months) I have been putting a lot more effort in and trying to get video's uploaded at least 5 days a week, and more if I can.

I recently switched over games I am playing and joined an Ark survival server that is solely for content creators and the collaborations and helped me see quite a bit of channel growth (relatively speaking, I am still under 100 subs lol)

Any advice/critiques from you guys would be appreciated (I know I need ot get my channel art barehanded to something more generic since I moved away from playing Minecraft, but the guy who helped me with this is not around anymore, and I really suck at art work, but it is on my list) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDmCDUcH63PVv-0UoTzfLwQ

I am also thinking about starting streaming as well. How do you guys find it in relation to uploading for youtube. It seems like as long as you can set (and stick to) as set schedule it might even be a bit easier to manage having to spend less time editing/rendering and uploading the videos. My issue currently is my monitor is a 16:10 so I need to try and get a overlay done that covers up the black bars on my stream, but graphic design has never been my strong suite lol.

Soldato
OP
Hey Jolli, apologies no-one seemed to spot your message... I was just thinking to myself "it's been a while since there was activity in the recording/streaming thread" and 'lo and behold there is...

To answer your question at the end there - I'm on 16:10 as well but when I use OBS I have the output set to 1920x1080 and adjust the capture window to fit that area.... It helps if you just set the game resolution to 1920x1080 as well (it'll look stretched slightly to you but fine on the stream/recording)

Streaming seems attractive indeed due to not having to edit etc. but I always worry that I'm wasting time because a recorded video is on YouTube forever but ultimately a stream has a limited lifespan... We've streamed for a few hours now and again and typically get 0 viewers the whole time, where we could have recorded for YouTube in that time instead... How exactly to grow an audience streaming seems more mysterious even than how to gain viewers on YouTube!!

Associate
^ Good point

I'm coming from Streaming were, relatively speaking I'm fairly known in my game of choice, but on Youtube I'm not yet.

I have the most basic set up for Youtube / Twitch - but it works and when I have watched my streams back I'm personally really surprised at the quality of the output

My figures are good though - I think?

Twitch
335 Followers currently, 5462 views
YouTube
79 Subscribers, 85 video's (I think?)

And Socialblade show's good solid growth which is good :)

Soldato
Driz you got a new subscriber mate ;) That's the sort of stuff I like watching to chill out, get ideas for playing with my kid etc.

I dislike many of the main street youtubers as they just repeat each other without any thought, you considered doing a voice over or pro/cons for each?

Soldato
Driz you got a new subscriber mate ;) That's the sort of stuff I like watching to chill out, get ideas for playing with my kid etc.

I dislike many of the main street youtubers as they just repeat each other without any thought, you considered doing a voice over or pro/cons for each?

Thanks! I would love to be able to do that but I have a terrible Brummi accent :-/ I need elocution lessons I think

Soldato
I'm looking to get into making videos for youtube, and after playing around a lot with my webcam, VAC, adobe audition and OBS, I've managed to get a AV quality that I'm happy with. I've got a number of ideas that should prove popular with the game's community, and quite enjoyed making the clips.

However, editing the clips together is a right pain, I've been using Lightworks, and honestly, I'm struggling. I'm not looking to do anything particularly fancy, I just need transition effects, and to be able to overlay the video with images and other videos occasionally, as well as trimming etc.

Any advice on a simpler to use software package?

Back
Top Bottom