• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLi/crossfire Irony...

Soldato
"Should I get another card and SLI or get a faster card?"
"Get the single, faster card, then you can SLI later down the line"

....later down the line

....later down the line

....later down the line

Soldato
OP
Are you trying to increase your post count? Absolute pointless thread.

Why would I do that? I already get free shipping if thats what you mean.

I was just thinking, it's the same response every time. And kinda ironic, people suggesting that you SHOULD SLI, but later. And once that later comes along. they say the same thing. So although condoning SLI, not condoning it. I was just thinking out loud really. Probably not worthy of a thread. Feel free to delete. Apologies.

Soldato
Personally i think this subsection is worse in a lot of ways, seems some people get out of bed in the morning just to stir **** and start arguments over incredibly petty things. =/
But if I don't defend [company that doesn't care about me], who will? ;)

Caporegime
But if I don't defend [company that doesn't care about me], who will? ;)

Seems like it, maybe its just me but when I buy a gpu I don't recall an agreement when I install it threatening me to defend the brand to the death or my kneecaps will be getting some much needed ventilation. Seems like a lot of people do sign up to that agreement though. :o

Caporegime
Well every time i have said done this, i have always ended up crossfire or sli as the second card ends up being so cheap compared to upgrading to the new single card.

Look at me now. I got a 290x with waterblock for £180 when the Fury came out. When xfire works, my two (oc) cards are faster than a 980ti and i havent spent anything like as much as what a 980ti with a waterblock would have cost.

downside is when xfire doesnt work :(

Caporegime
downside is when xfire doesnt work :(

Its a pain when it doesn't work, my experience with crossfire is it always seemed to be the last thing in the pecking order to get implemented. When eyefinity came around it wasn't supported for a while, when frame pacing drivers came around it took an age to get supported as well. For something they push as an enthusiast performance solution they really take their time with it. Not much experience with sli but from reading its a similar situation with "team green".

Soldato
OP
Its a pain when it doesn't work, my experience with crossfire is it always seemed to be the last thing in the pecking order to get implemented. When eyefinity came around it wasn't supported for a while, when frame pacing drivers came around it took an age to get supported as well. For something they push as an enthusiast performance solution they really take their time with it. Not much experience with sli but from reading its a similar situation with "team green".

Unity engine not being supported is the killer for me. 30% or more of the games I play are on the unity engine (don't know how that happened) so for me it's a no go.

Soldato
it depends on the situation... I do know that quite often people ask about mulit-gpu when they have either a lower end card - like say a 960, or a previous gen card like a 7970 or something

in those types of situations, by the time you sell off the old card and buy new/high spec one, you have very similar performance, but other advantages like more vram

I would always recommend someone to get the best single card they can, and then look to SLI if its still not enough

I can understand why people try to look at things purely from a fps/£ point of view, but its not a view I subscribe to

Caporegime
The last time i xfire/sli straight from the beginning was the 8800GT. The fact it was only £119 and hence the performance from two of them in SLI for £238 was just too tempting :)

If 1070 SLI's well and is at the right price I might jump stright in this time with two of them. SHould be a good step up from my 280x.

When SLI works it should be a 70% performance boost and when it doesnt, it will still be as fast as both my 290x in xfire.

Back
Top Bottom