No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Caporegime
some images starting to be leaked from some recent Japanese event which had a playable version of the game.

Nothing major just a few pics (one of an NPC race) and a gif but if you wanna stay completely away from any pre release content then ill add spoiler tags

With the procedural generation of animals and NPCs as well as planets it's highly unlikely you will ever see any of those in your own game anyway :).

I do hope the game starts from scratch, and I don't keep rocking up to planets 'Discovered by Hello Games' :p.

Man of Honour
With the procedural generation of animals and NPCs as well as planets it's highly unlikely you will ever see any of those in your own game anyway :).

I do hope the game starts from scratch, and I don't keep rocking up to planets 'Discovered by Hello Games' :p.

I doubt we will come across that many planets discovered by anyone...although I do wonder. If you are unfortunate and end up in the same start position as another player there might not be that much to discover?

I look forward to the stats down the line.

Soldato
It's out in a couple of weeks time yet there are still very few details out there about the actual gameplay mechanics so I'm struggling to decide whether this is a game I should be excited about or not! I'm hoping for something like Elite: Dangerous but with more to do however I don't know if it'll deliver on that....... So many bold claims made by Sony but so little out there to actually go on...

The lack of details about the game makes me worry it could be rubbish but surely Sony wouldn't have hyped it to the max and signed up to an exclusive PS4 deal if it was a total dud?

I'm really not sure what to expect!

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends entirely on how many people play, but for sake of simple maths lets assume 1 million people play the game.

There are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets. That means that if everyone kept visiting unique planets nobody else visited at a constant rate then everyone would be able to visit 18,446,744,073,709 planets before they were guaranteed to bump into someone else.

That depends of course if all the players are scattered throughout the entire universe. IIRC (or hinted), the universe is split into galaxies. Not sure if everyone starts in the same galaxy, but at least then, you should have the chance to meet another player before you start collecting your pension.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I'm going to wait and see not that I have much of a choice as I will be on holiday in Cyprus till the 14th of August.

Associate
I quite like that there are not a ton of details about the game, it means we as players can discover/discuss/share things we find out. With steam refund now I'm not concerned about our being no good, I'd just get a refund. Can't imagine I'll have to though.

Associate
Am looking forward to this, though I'm a little dubious about the colour palette used for (many of?, some of?) the planets. Think I might need to wear shades whilst playing!

Soldato
Am looking forward to this, though I'm a little dubious about the colour palette used for (many of?, some of?) the planets. Think I might need to wear shades whilst playing!

I believe it's all semi-accurately modelled based on the star type.sequence phase and atmospheric composition of the planet.

Looks pretty either way, had enough of the gritty realism fad of the last decade or so in gaming.

Back
Top Bottom