****Official Doom 4 Thread****

Associate
Ok so Doom 4 is near and I thought it was about time we made an official thread. Rumours are that Doom 4 will have a release date at Quakecon 2011; “..the Doom team are all sped up and working on this technology base – I’m not really at liberty to discuss much about it, but it’s going full steam ahead right now,” he added, along with this encouraging statement: “it shouldn’t take as long to ship as Rage. It’s already in the pipeline and we feel good about it.” - Taken from 2010 John Carmack interview, which basically means that Doom 4 is very near and that Quakecon 2011 should without doubt be showing previews of the game, either through a trailer or the ability to try it out at Quakecon 2011 or screenshots, or if not, we may have a Duke Nuken on our hands (never going to be built).

To add to the hype it seems that the storyline will be oriented around a hell on earth scenario (Doom 2 style baby), here’s a quote from a recent interview with actor Brad Hawkins: “[Filmmaker Mark Bristol] was very specific on the civilians having a certain personality and the military characters having a separate one as well. The body language of the civilians is less, well, “trained.” They carry their guns in a looser fashion and are a little sloppier when they run, a little more freestyle. The military characters are sharp as razors, with very swift moves, exact hand positioning and can turn on a dime.” - Id software hastily removed this interview when it was up, but some saved it (thankfully). So Doom 4 is going to be a win?

Discuss

Last edited:
Soldato
I just hope they make some of the environments a little more open with proper hordes of demons trying to attack you.

Would be cool if they made something like L4D but set in the Doom universe and storyline.

Associate
OP
I just hope they make some of the environments a little more open with proper hordes of demons trying to attack you.

Would be cool if they made something like L4D but set in the Doom universe and storyline.
Perhaps, they said they were going away from very dark survival horror to try some new though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps, they said they were going away from very dark survival horror to try some new though.

Are you trying to tell me Doom 3 was a 'very dark survival horror' and not 'an FPS that thinks making you jump by doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... is scary'?

Gotta say what you wrote you in the OP is completely meaningless... have they even started making it?

Permabanned
I followed the link, and I found this more interesting:

I am totally mind blown with 1000 heatshots after watching a bit of that!

Soldato
Are you trying to tell me Doom 3 was a 'very dark survival horror' and not 'an FPS that thinks making you jump by doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... is scary'?

Gotta say what you wrote you in the OP is completely meaningless... have they even started making it?

Have to say I really enjoyed the game, and didn't find it repetative. Was daft not being able to shine a light and shoot at the same time, but that's what made it work well in my opinion. I personally did not like the demonic stuff, I just found that a bit much, but it heightened the game that's for sure.

Looking forward to Doom 4 if and when it comes out :)

Soldato
Doom4 is not near at all its mid-late 2012 at the very earliest. John Carmack even said a few months ago they have not even started proper work on it yet so not sure how anyone can think its coming soon unless by soon you mean in the next 2 years!

Associate
Jesus OP, from the replies you've had back I bet you wish you hadn't bothered?!

Anyway, this one sounds interesting, though I wasn't particularly a fan of Doom 3. IIRC it came out just before HL2 which pretty much blew it out of the water. I enjoyed the story etc. and the graphics were **** hot at the time, but the guns just 'felt' a bit rubbish. 4 should be interesting if it's based on Earth though.

Back
Top Bottom