Which wheel would you recommend?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first wheel, primarily for Project Cars on PC but possibly other PC/PS4 games in future.

Looking at reviews I'm torn between the T300, T500 and G29.

T500 - well built and good FFB, but big, expensive and noisy.

T300 - cheapest, good wheel/FFB, but poor pedals and no clutch, possibly reliability issues?

G29 - Possibly worse FFB? But good pedals with clutch, and proven design.

Any advice on which one to go for? Or any alternatives that might be better?

Thanks,
Nathan

Soldato
I've heard the g29 is inferior to both the g27 and g25 but don't quote me on that.

I had heard the same a while ago when I was buying a wheel, I cant remember the reasons now but I ended up buying a G27. I dont use it that often nor am I a huge driving sim fan but in the time I have used it - along with the pedals - it has been great. I used it for Shift 2 mainly so PCars should be good with this wheel, Im sure someone will reply shortly with experience using the G27 and PCars. Ive never used the gear stick due to lack of desk space and Id rather drive auto tbh.

The wheel feels solid and has metal flappy paddles, it grips the desk well but you could also use a anti-slip mat to help it. I remounted the pedals on a home made wooden box as the standard 'box' that holds the pedals is not very good imo. That reminds me, I need to paint it black :p

P.B

P.B

Soldato
g25/27 with mods bigger wheel and swap the shifter for a thrust master tr8 rs as the shifter is a bit weak and flimsy with the logo tech set up.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
I had heard the same a while ago when I was buying a wheel, I cant remember the reasons now but I ended up buying a G27. I dont use it that often nor am I a huge driving sim fan but in the time I have used it - along with the pedals - it has been great. I used it for Shift 2 mainly so PCars should be good with this wheel, Im sure someone will reply shortly with experience using the G27 and PCars. Ive never used the gear stick due to lack of desk space and Id rather drive auto tbh.

The wheel feels solid and has metal flappy paddles, it grips the desk well but you could also use a anti-slip mat to help it. I remounted the pedals on a home made wooden box as the standard 'box' that holds the pedals is not very good imo. That reminds me, I need to paint it black :p

I also remounted my pedals on mdf never painted it as well haha

Soldato
Isn't it the G920 you should be looking at? I think the G29 is PS3/PS4 only.

Actually, if you're planning to use it for PC and PS4, that might answer your question.

Although I could easily be wrong!

Man of Honour
Buy a second hand Logitech DFGT or Thrustmaster 458.

That way you'll still have a decent wheel without spending a fortune. Only to find out you only use the wheel a couple of times because you get bored or it's a pain to keep setting it up.

Only once you are sure that you'll use a wheel enough, should you spend upwards of £300 plus.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I did consider the G27 but it's hard to find a new one now, stock has really dried up since the G29s release.

Isn't it the G920 you should be looking at? I think the G29 is PS3/PS4 only.

Actually, if you're planning to use it for PC and PS4, that might answer your question.

Although I could easily be wrong!

^Correct.

G920 is for Xbox One and PC.
G29 is for PS3 and PS4.

Interesting, the official site only says PS3/4, but some of the reviews mention PC.

Caporegime
id start at a logitech dfgt second hand for like 50 quid. not much between them and g25/27 tbh.many think they maybe cheap but they are very good and well built.

if you got the money spare the t500 is a lot better.

Man of Honour
As I said earlier and DG said above, don't spend £300 plus on your first wheel.

I've lost count the amount of wheels that turn up in the MM hardly used. Either they get bored quickly or they don't play sims enough to justify getting the wheel out all the time.

Start cheap but good and see if it's for you first.

I'm pretty sure that both of Logitech's new offerings work on PC, so it's which console compatibility is your preference really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is there much of a difference between the cheaper and expensive wheels? That does sound like a good idea get a cheaper wheel now then maybe get something more expensive in 6-12 months if I'm still using it a lot.

Will start having a look at reviews of cheaper stuff, thanks :)

Associate
I have had the t500 for a couple of weeks now it is very well made despite what I have read about it I haven't found it gets hot or makes a lot of noise. so far I have found myself tinkering with settings more than actualy playing games but it really does put a smile on your face & makes racing games so much more immersive. as someone else said maybe try a cheap wheel first just to see how you find it

Man of Honour
It's a bit like PC components. The performance difference vs the price difference gets smaller the further up you go.

The DFGT is a decent enough base to start with. They are similar to the old Momo wheels, which is where I started in the SimBin GTR days.

Soldato
I'd go for the T300 RS, in fact I did :)

I tried a few before buying and I found the T300 RS the best.. The wheel is better than the T500 but the pedals are not as good. Luckily you can upgrade the pedals if you want to but I'd say you can't go wrong with the the T300 RS at the moment.

Associate
Buy a second hand Logitech DFGT or Thrustmaster 458.

That way you'll still have a decent wheel without spending a fortune. Only to find out you only use the wheel a couple of times because you get bored or it's a pain to keep setting it up.

Only once you are sure that you'll use a wheel enough, should you spend upwards of £300 plus.

I'd take this advice. This is what I did only to find out I couldn't be bothered to set up the wheel most of the time and sort out all the cables then dismantle the set up and put it away. Don't get me wrong I love using the DFGT and using a wheel is the best way to play driving games, but after buying a wheel I realised it is a little bit of a novelty, Most games are terrible on default and spending hours tweaking the settings gets highly tedious. I've done this loads of times only for games to lose the settings and have to do it all again (I'm looking at you Assetto Corsa). I very rarely set it up these days. I bought mine second hand for £50, if I'd paid £250 upwards I would have severely regretted it. You might not.

The DFGT is still a really good wheel for price and very well supported game wise. I'd use a wheel over any other type of input for driving, it's just a pain in the ass to set up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there much of a difference between the cheaper and expensive wheels? That does sound like a good idea get a cheaper wheel now then maybe get something more expensive in 6-12 months if I'm still using it a lot.

Having owned a G25 and thrustmaster F430, IMO no. There isn't any difference in quality. In fact, i think the F430 feels more robust. It's certainly quieter. The leather on the G25 made my hands all sticky and gooey. You can get the Thrustmaster F430 for pennies now. I paid £40 for mine used but as new really.

I'm with the crowd that say get a cheap wheel for your first wheel. See if you like it. If you do, wear it out and get a thrustmaster T500RS, Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter and fanatec clubsport pedals. A very nice combination that lot is.

Soldato
Big fan of my g27 and I got it very cheaply second hand on MM. Really completely changes racing games and I couldn't go back to a pad.

Back
Top Bottom