4K TV - 10ft away?

Soldato
I currently have a 48" Samsung in my room and i'm going 4K but i don't know if i'll be too far away to see the benefit?

The TV is on the wall and i'm either sat up or lay down when watching the TV.

I have used my expert paint skills to show my room layout.

What do you guys think? The TV i'll be going for will be either 55" or 60" depending on room available.

Qf5koAa.jpg

Man of Honour
unless you got better than 2020 vision then you aren't going to benefit, however what else you going to buy, can you even still get a good non 4k tv at 65" without going second hand. So i don't think you have much choice anyway.
imo though spend the money on true backs and HDR for better contrast. Amount of cheaper tvs that you cant see anything in dark scenes is shocking. Or have extremely bad edge bleeding.

you can also just got to a store and stand 10 foot away and see what you think, but again they all 4k these days anyway.

thx recommendations
2mzd1qc.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My Samsung is only 2 years old and still a fantastic TV but i thought why not pick one up in the sale.

When i'm on my bed, it feels a lot closer than 10ft so i'm thinking whether it'll be an issue or not, i mean i can only try it, if it doesn't work then i can go back to my 1080p TV.

Cheers. :)

Man of Honour
you would still benefit from a bigger tv though and see more detail over your 48".
just go to a shop and see what you think.

Soldato
OP
I've seen the 55" 4K HDR tv and it looked fantastic and I reckon it would be OK.

My TV is wall mounted so sits slightly higher than the average tv but when laying in bed, it's perfect.

Caporegime
The reason "most" people who say they can see the difference from a long way away with a 4k tv is mainly down to the fact the TV is much better full stop and nothing to do with the 4k eg HDR, brightness, details in shadow, colour gamut etc.

Soldato
thx recommendations
2mzd1qc.jpg

Keep seeing this and never seen such rubbish.

According to this, at 10ft distance, you need about an 87" screen before you even start to see the benefit of 4K. At 8ft it looks about 75-80".

What a load of crap. I sit 8-9ft from a 55" screen and can clearly tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Caporegime
I sit less than 5ft away from my 58" Panasonic 4 screen and I can see the huge difference between HD and 4K pictures.

Picture above makes me laugh whenever I see it. It's a load of absolute BS.

Soldato
Always get as big as possible and 4k even though limited content, most decent tvs are now 4k. So why not if you want a new telly box. For me 50" at 1080p is nice a 6 foot away. 4k at that size and distance is on the eye of the beholder and only you can decide what you'll notice.

Man of Honour
I sit less than 5ft away from my 58" Panasonic 4 screen and I can see the huge difference between HD and 4K pictures.

Picture above makes me laugh whenever I see it. It's a load of absolute BS.

of course you would, as the graph shows. you are almost at the ful benfit rnage at that size and distance.

and as for others as also said in this thread, you are probably noticing better quality due to other factors.

Soldato
I have never really put too much/any thought into this when I purchased my TVs.

I have a couple of 4k TVs.

We have a 78 inch TV in the lounge which is about 7 feet away from the sofa. I am told regularly that its too close/its too big, but I like it as a furniture piece as well. I can tell the difference with the demo files that Samsung chuck with it, but we don't get a lot of UHD coverage over here (just cricket which I have ZERO interest in) so everything is mainly in 1080p

My gaming TV in my man cave (65 inch one) is around 4 feet away from where I use it. Its 4k, but I don't have a 4k source for it. Suppose when I can get my hands on a PS4 pro I will be able to tell the difference.

Soldato
I can see the difference on Netflix between HD and 4k at 13 feet with a 60 incher. I showed that graph to my wife before we bought it but she didn't want me getting a 100 inch screen, I'm not sure why:p.

Soldato
Keep seeing this and never seen such rubbish.

According to this, at 10ft distance, you need about an 87" screen before you even start to see the benefit of 4K. At 8ft it looks about 75-80".

What a load of crap. I sit 8-9ft from a 55" screen and can clearly tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.
Its well known rubbish. That guide is so wrong. I tried to setup my screen and in the end I ignored the guides as they are so far out.

Soldato
of course you would, as the graph shows. you are almost at the ful benfit rnage at that size and distance.

and as for others as also said in this thread, you are probably noticing better quality due to other factors.

Its not other factors its the resolution. If you pick an episode to watch on Netflix and watch the same episode under the same conditions and the only change is switching between 4k, 1080p and lower versions of the content there is a massive difference. Same if you get a blur ray and encode it down to a lower resolution its a night and day difference. That graph is very wrong even more so when talking about playing games over watching TV. UHD is much improved over 1080p at 6 meters on a 100" screen and even down to 92" at 6 meters 720p looks terrible and 1080 is barely enough.

Last edited:
Permabanned
This is why i held off getting the KS7000, 55" is about as big as we can go in our living room and sitting ~9 feet away i'm starting to think i should just wait and see if OLED drops a decent amount after CES, it seems a more sensible route to get better PQ than trying to jam a 60-65" screen in a room it will look too big in.

Man of Honour
Its not other factors its the resolution. If you pick an episode to watch on Netflix and watch the same episode under the same conditions and the only change is switching between 4k, 1080p and lower there is a massive difference. That graph is completely wrong even more so when talking about playing games over watching TV. UHD is much improved over 1080p at 6 meters on a 100" screen.

wow just wow. the picking different things on netflix doesn't only change the pixel count.

why would they lie, by lieing it damages sales. as such tvs just don't exist, especially as that was out at least 5 years ago if not 10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom