• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

Soldato
I was holding out for the 7950 but after seeing the quoted prices I just couldn't justify spending that much on one. Instead I managed to pick up a 2GB 6950 which I am told can be flashed or something to 6970 performance. Total price $235 (That's around 140 UK, living in the USA at the moment).

This is the sort of thing that gets up my humph about rip off UK prices. I'm off to the Usa in May, think I'll be upgrading while there, lost sale for here.:mad:

Soldato
Was going to grab one of these, but again the price is way too high for me. I will wait to see the price for the 1.5gb version and if that is gouged like the rest I will just crossfire my 5850 until the greed has subsided.

Associate
Honestly i'm just tired of people complaining that 7970 is overpriced, it's priced where it should be, it's high end, and not everyone can afford it. Not everyone was able to afford 8800 Ultra. Looking at someone's logic prices should be £400, hell no, when gtx580 still costs the fortune, and is slower than 7970.

Everyone wishes to get the best of the best, but there is the price to pay, when OC'ed 7970 performs so well. Let's be honest most of us that's surfing this forums buys and OC'es their GPU's and CPU's. So getting 7970 for £400 would be awesome present. Blame NV that they're still keeping GTX580 so pricey. If i was a businessman (AMD in this case), i would charge premium for my product when there is no competition. NV was able to do this with their flagman, not many of you complained, so stop being childish now.

P.S. AMD is not 99p shop!

Childish? I suppose we can simply ignore the fact that the 7970 is priced like a card of the last generation, with regards to performance per £ not really improving at all? So you have the 7970 at £420, the 7950 at £350. Will the 7870 with its 6970 matching performance be £270, just like the 6970?

People are not complaining about the price. People are complaining about the Performance:price ratio. Simply put, this is not priced like a new generation product.

Soldato
Childish? I suppose we can simply ignore the fact that the 7970 is priced like a card of the last generation, with regards to performance per £ not really improving at all? So you have the 7970 at £420, the 7950 at £350. Will the 7870 with its 6970 matching performance be £270, just like the 6970?

People are not complaining about the price. People are complaining about the Performance:price ratio. Simply put, this is not priced like a new generation product.

Wait till Nvidia bring out their cards if you want a price shock :eek:

Soldato

The 7970 is faster than factory OCd GTX 580s and the GTX 580 3GB versions, it is also priced less in many cases. So it's price/performance ratio is better than the highest end last gen single GPU king. I am not arguing it is good value, but it is certainly better value than you imply.

You have mixed up your 78X0 range, the 7870 will be less than £230 MSRP, it is the 7890 that will be priced at HD 6970 levels. The HD 7890 will give ~ GTX 580 performance for ~ £275, yeah a real crap card at a crap price that will be.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll let sleeping dogs lie, the point has been made and I don't want to ruin the thread for the others. Shame he couldn't just say sry he had forgot or something rather get all shirty. Some ppl! :rolleyes:

Soldato
A 6970 can't, not from what I've seen, by all bells and whistles I'm expecting ULTRA, 8xAA and 16xAF with HBAO... and I don't believe it would run at 60fps?

No chance.

My HD7970 overclocked to 1125/6600 pulls 58.8FPS at 1080p Ultra settings with 4xAA (deferred) applied in game.

The HD6970 is utterly crippled by deferred AA in BF3. At this setting my HD7970 is around 60-80% faster than my old HD6970.

Associate
The 7970 is faster than factory OCd GTX 580s and the GTX 580 3GB versions, it is also priced less in many cases. So it's price/performance ratio is better than the highest end last gen single GPU king. I am not arguing it is good value, but it is certainly better value than you imply.

You have mixed up your 78X0 range, the 7870 will be less than £230 MSRP, it is the 7890 that will be priced at HD 6970 levels. The HD 7890 will give ~ GTX 580 performance for ~ £275, yeah a real crap card at a crap price that will be.

The problem is that the 7970 is priced at the 6000 series level of performance per pound. If you find that GTX 580 performance for £275 is impressive 14 months on, then fair enough I suppose, but IMO it's pretty underwhelming, especially on a new process.

The GTX 580 is also overpriced compared to the rest of the range so that's why the 7970 looks remotely like it's a value proposition in comparison. But everyone knows that the top of the range in a generation gives diminishing returns compared to the mid-high segment. I think that's where we differ - you're comparing the 7970 with just the GTX 580, I'm comparing it to how it performs to compared to all cards from the GTX 560Ti/6950 upwards.

I'd like to know where you got the exact specs and prices for these new cards.

Soldato
The problem is that the 7970 is priced at the 6000 series level of performance per pound. If you find that GTX 580 performance for £275 is impressive 14 months on, then fair enough I suppose, but IMO it's pretty underwhelming, especially on a new process.

It's a good thing it isn't priced at 3GB GTX 580 price/performance or the 7970 would be £600 MSRP. :)

The GTX 580 1.5GB versions are still ~£350 or even more. The HD 6970 is still ~£250+, so yes in that context, I do think GTX 580 performance for current, as in right now main stream prices is great value. This fact renders your 14 months on argument invalid, considering the prices of the lower end GTX 580, or the HD 6970 have only dropped ~£30 in one year.

The GTX 580 is also overpriced compared to the rest of the range so that's why the 7970 looks remotely like it's a value proposition in comparison. But everyone knows that the top of the range in a generation gives diminishing returns compared to the mid-high segment.

I agree, the GTX 580 was and still is overpriced, as was the GTX 480 before that? The fact that Nvidia AIBs decided the 3GB GTX 580 was worth such a ridiculous price for nothing more that 1.5GB extra RAM has put the prices of top end cards so high. This is why I am looking forward to the full AMD and NVidia Kepler range to be released ASAP. Competition is the ONLY thing that reduces prices, both AMD and Nvidia would price cards extorionatley high if they had a monopoly.

I think that's where we differ - you're comparing the 7970 with just the GTX 580, I'm comparing it to how it performs to compared to all cards from the GTX 560Ti/6950 upwards.

No you weren't, you were specifically stating the HD 7970 perf/£ was not improving since last gen. I pointed out your error by showing that it improved perf/£ when compared to the higher end GTX 580s. You also erroniously claimed the 7870 will offer the same perf/£ as the HD 6970. It won't it will have similar speeds for less money, again improving perf/£. Here is your quote for reference.

"I suppose we can simply ignore the fact that the 7970 is priced like a card of the last generation, with regards to performance per £ not really improving at all? So you have the 7970 at £420, the 7950 at £350. Will the 7870 with its 6970 matching performance be £270, just like the 6970?"

People are complaining based on the HD 7970 being priced lower and performing better than the high-end GTX 580s. So performance:price ratio has improved. Wait until the rest of the Tahitit and Pitcairn range is released, then we will see what performance:price ratio we get for £270.

If you want to argue argue value then I agree, but price/performance has improved based on high end GTX 580 prices.

I'd like to know where you got the exact specs and prices for these new cards.

http://www.eteknix.com/news/even-more-details-for-the-hd-7000-series/

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, but you're basing every single one of your claims on this hypothetical list of next gen cards, not to the current lineup and no proven hard facts. There is no confirmed indication of the speeds or lineup of the 7800 series.

If you're going to take just the GTX 580 as a point of reference for the performance : price ratio then your data will be skewed.

Simple fact: 2 x 6950s beat a 7970 in price and performance. You cannot say price : performance ratio has improved with the 7970 at all, nothing, zip.

You pointed out no error of mine, you just failed to read my post.

edit: Oh and the fact that prices have barely moved in 14 months only proves my point further, if you think it through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, but you're basing every single one of your claims on this hypothetical list of next gen cards, not to the current lineup and no proven hard facts. There is no confirmed indication of the speeds or lineup of the 7800 series.

If you're going to take just the GTX 580 as a point of reference for the performance : price ratio then your data will be skewed.

Hmmm, I'm positive I referenced the HD 6970 and it's current price in my previous post... yep here it is.

The GTX 580 1.5GB versions are still ~£350 or even more. The HD 6970 is still ~£250+, so yes in that context, I do think GTX 580 performance for current, as in right now main stream prices is great value. This fact renders your 14 months on argument invalid, considering the prices of the lower end GTX 580, or the HD 6970 have only dropped ~£30 in one year.​

Simple fact: 2 x 6950s beat a 7970 in price and performance. You cannot say price : performance ratio has improved with the 7970 at all, nothing, zip.

Nover mind 2x 6950's, I sold 2x 6970s in Crossfire, my single HD 7970 while slower in overall FPS is actauly MUCH smoother in actual gameplay. Plus I don't have to mess with profiles or wait months for AMD to enable proper crossfire scaling. But hey, my eyes must be deceiving me, right?

2X HD 6950s = £400 (chepest price on OCUK)
2x HD 6970s - £526 (cheapest price on OCUK)
1X HD 7970 = £440 (cheapest price on OCUK)

I'm going by my own experience and 1x HD 7970 is far superior to my Crossfired 6970 experience.

You pointed out no error of mine, you just failed to read my post.

I did read your post or I wouldn't be commenting on it, strange logic there. You claimed the following.

"Childish? I suppose we can simply ignore the fact that the 7970 is priced like a card of the last generation, with regards to performance per £ not really improving at all? So you have the 7970 at £420, the 7950 at £350. Will the 7870 with its 6970 matching performance be £270, just like the 6970?"​

NOTE: It was YOU who made the hypothetical claim that the 7870 had 6970 matching performance and price, not me. I corrected your error by showing that the 7890 is slated for a HD 6970 price point according to AMDs own MSRP list, NOT the 7870. So you made an error and I corrected it.

edit: Oh and the fact that prices have barely moved in 14 months only proves my point further, if you think it through.

More strange logic there I'm afraid. You claim the HD 7870 will have poor price/performance ratio because the older tech is 14 months old now. I counter that with the FACT that this 14 month old tech has barely dropped in price. So if HD 7870 has similar performance for less price than HD 6970, it has by definition... a better price/performance ratio.

You keep diggin that hole :)

Simples

Last edited:
Permabanned
Where are the MSI TF3's at?

That stock fan looks like pure garbage, Sapphire are actually releasing a sweet custom design first this time.

Back
Top Bottom