Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
I'm sure I'm going to break into double figures soon :) I now have 7 Pi3s around the house doing various things. 6 running RasPlex for streaming from my Plex Server and my latest 1 running in the loft as an ADS-B and Airband server. It's almost like every other week I find another use for them and the geek in me has to jump on the bandwagon. 'mon the Pi's!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Perhaps not - I haven't looked into it, but read this:

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Overclocking#raspberry-pi-3-overclocking

and it seems to imply that you can?

It's perfectly good as it is.. I just like to fiddle! :p

The other thing I was thinking of looking at is making an ODB2 connector for my car, and/or a satnav screen. But it's just having the time...

I actually started on something like this today, although I'm grabbing the data from Megasquirt through serial rather than OBDII.

Currently got it pulling Manifold Temp, Coolant Temp, Fuel trim correction, RPM and injector pulse width.

Just need something to display the data with now. Then once I figure out the maths I'll change it to display Coolant and manifold temps, instant economy and avg economy

Soldato
I'm only toying with that at the moment tbh. I have just the Bog standard RTL-SDR installed on my Pi too. You can connect to it using SDR# on your PC and it acts just like a broadband receiver/scanner.

I have the FlightAware dongle and Filter for ADS-B stuff and the bog standard RTL dongle for audio tuning.

Soldato
I had a day to spend with these devices at work. And really didn't like them. Maybe it was because of what they where trying to get me to do with them. I.e they wanted to use them to set up dashboards and monitoring.

A. The little thing doesn't have the power
B. Not being x86 it was hard to get a decent browser for it.

Man of Honour
I actually started on something like this today, although I'm grabbing the data from Megasquirt through serial rather than OBDII.

Currently got it pulling Manifold Temp, Coolant Temp, Fuel trim correction, RPM and injector pulse width.

Just need something to display the data with now. Then once I figure out the maths I'll change it to display Coolant and manifold temps, instant economy and avg economy

I now have something that actually works really quite well.

It runs my python script on boot and waits until a connection is available to the ECU.

Reads various live data and logs it to file
Calculates fuel consumption in L/hr, Instant MPG and Average MPG, and logs a lifetime value for fuel used and distance travelled to a seperate file

Considering I didn't know Python a few days ago I think I've done pretty well for about 12 hours work. Just need my 16x2 LCD to arrive now so I can output some data to be viewable much like a trip computer and make up a case and mount it somewhere in the car

Man of Honour
Nice one! Need a build log and some pics! :D

Will keep updates split between here and Motors. Going to use a PiZero for the finished article to keep the footprint down.

Edit: Also ordered a little 1.3" 128x64 I2C OLED too, technically less text space than a 16x2 char LCD but should allow me to make it look a lot nicer

Last edited:
Man of Honour
These little 1.3" I2C OLED displays are great.

Got it displaying some basic data, I just need to play with interrupts now to get it cycling between displayed data

And now with some visual tweaks

Last edited:
Associate
Since adding a new Belkin router I cannot connect to the internet (ethernet or wi-fi) on my Pi. Doing a fresh install of Jessie makes no difference. Any ideas?

Soldato
Anyone any guides for converting a hifi with a Pi?

I bought my wife what was supposed to be a decent hifi 4 or 5 years ago but it's a bit pants. I'd like to keep the shell and the speakers working, maybe run it via a phone and have just one plug for it. It'd be nice to use the existing buttons for volume but i'll probably have to remove the screen or replace it.

Man of Honour

I bought my wife what was supposed to be a decent hifi 4 or 5 years ago but it's a bit pants. I'd like to keep the shell and the speakers working, maybe run it via a phone and have just one plug for it. It'd be nice to use the existing buttons for volume but i'll probably have to remove the screen or replace it.

Something like Rune Audio

http://www.rpimusicplayer.com/

With something like the HiFiBerry sound card to drive the speakers

https://www.hifiberry.com/products/ampplus/

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

New project:-

20161214_173421_zps6nkuqqf8.jpg

Soldato

Max2Play or PiCorePlayer are really good if you want to use a screen or control via a phone or tablet, if you just want to use a Pi Moode Audio is really good and can also be controlled via a phone or tablet

You will just need a DAC something like the HiFiBerry or use a USB DAC

Back
Top Bottom