Spec me a PSU please

Associate
Got a replacement fan on the way for my current PSU but if that doesnt fix the noise issues i will be looking for a new one..
that said - i went with a 750w at first as i wasnt sure if i would sli but i no longer plan to do that

Was looking at a corsair RM650X as i want extra incase i decide to OC the cpu in future, also MSI site says recommended for my gpu is 500w so thats the minimum.. just unsure wether to go with a 550 or 650 so any recommendations?? :)

spec is
i5 4670k
gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
MSI GTX 970
12GB ram
3 SSD
1 HDD

and then there is my fan controller + 4 case fans

Last edited:
Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,217.23
(includes shipping: £22.50)

What will handle that system/is most worthy of buying in my opinion, in order of cost and including your two choices.

A good 450W is enough because even an overclocked 970 pulls 200W, and an overclocked 4670K say around 100-150W. Having said that if you are able to spend more on a good 550W+ then even more comfortable, yes.

If I had to pick, the SuperFlower Platinum King 650W is a great price for a solid 650. But non-modular. The SuperFlower Leadex Gunmetal 550W also very good at £73.00, modular and even better in quality. Beyond that, the reason for going with Corsair RMX would be the 10 year warranty which none of the others in the list above offer. EVGA 650 G2 comes close at 7 years and is arguably an even better PSU.

Associate
OP
thanks for the input danny, i forgot to mention about modular etc
but id prefer atleast semi-modular, semi-passive fan and not a sleeve bearing fan

was so tempted by the 650 leadex until i saw it was white, would stand out too much in my system and i could only find it at 1 other place in black.. and the price theyre asking would buy the evga 650 g2 with change lol

the evga GQ 650 ticks all those boxes at a nice price though, will check some reviews

Soldato
thanks for the input danny, i forgot to mention about modular etc
but id prefer atleast semi-modular, semi-passive fan and not a sleeve bearing fan

was so tempted by the 650 leadex until i saw it was white, would stand out too much in my system and i could only find it at 1 other place in black.. and the price theyre asking would buy the evga 650 g2 with change lol

the evga GQ 650 ticks all those boxes at a nice price though, will check some reviews

You're welcome. GQ not as good as Leadex/G2 and a little behind GS. But specced them because they are still a good modular option and 650W/750W for the price is tempting.

Associate
OP
surprised to hear that tbh, ive seen nothing but great reviews about the GQ

anyway i found the rm650x for £93 and supposedly its quieter than the g2 so thats top of the list for me atm
trouble is now, i have the replacement fan on the way for the psu i have now and part of me is hoping it doesnt fix the issue just so i can get a new one :D
currently have the CX750M

Associate
OP
well my replacement fan arrived today, got it installed into the psu but its pretty much the same except with the extra annoyance of a constant buzzing sound...

ordered the rm650x - not wasting more money on my current one...

Back
Top Bottom