• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-7700K vs Core i7-6700K Benchmarks on Z270 Platform

Soldato
I'm buying AMD next time just on general principle. This is what happens when a near monopoly has little competition.

Associate
I'm buying AMD next time just on general principle. This is what happens when a near monopoly has little competition.

And also even if it ends up a bit slower per core, Zen is almost certain to be faster per £ in multicore.

And I think it's very likely software is going to start properly moving to 6+ cores over the next couple of years. The consoles have been 8 cores (7 usable though I think) for a few years, and are now being refreshed to also 8 cores.

Also a large portion of the market now has 4 cores in their desktops and laptops. So 4-8 cores seems sensible to target going forward. No more 1-2 stuff.

Associate
Intel have completely lost it with the 7700k. For any one looking to buy a new Cpu you would be better off saving money and getting a DC 4970k or 6700k better still go S/H and pick one up of the Bay but you will need to be quick they sell like hot cakes.

Soldato
That 6700k mobo combo for 499 was a steal mate.

It was kinda but I can't bring myself to invest in a chip that is 18 months old now, we need Zen to up the game and make Intel do something. I'm guessing within the next 2 years we will see 4c/8t on i3, 6c/12t on i5 and 8c/16t on i7 or something along these lines, Pentium will be interesting if unlocked and having 4c/4t for people with limited funds. I understand that with die shrinking becoming harder that we won't see as many gains as we have in the past but we could at least get more cores it needs to become standardized for more developers to invest in making software for high core counts.

Caporegime
It was kinda but I can't bring myself to invest in a chip that is 18 months old now, we need Zen to up the game and make Intel do something. I'm guessing within the next 2 years we will see 4c/8t on i3, 6c/12t on i5 and 8c/16t on i7 or something along these lines, Pentium will be interesting if unlocked and having 4c/4t for people with limited funds. I understand that with die shrinking becoming harder that we won't see as many gains as we have in the past but we could at least get more cores it needs to become standardized for more developers to invest in making software for high core counts.

8c 16thread Intel will cost money...and us it really needed ?

Bang fir buck and that 6700k was a steal...who cares it's a 18month old chip....CPU been stagnant for years...

Soldato
-0.02% over 6700K on SINGLE thread perf
-0.86% over 6700K on MULTI thread perf.

So is slower. lol
Almost certainly within the margin of error so not conclusive. Basically it's the same. The only thing that'd make it faster than an i7-6700K for overclockers is if it overclocks higher on average.

Soldato
Not surprised at all really.

It's been the same old story with every generation for years now.

Hence I'm still sat on a 2500k that I've had over five years.

What disturbs me about kaby lake, is the amount of heat it seems to be kicking out. Surely it's supposed to be more efficient??

Back
Top Bottom