Samsung 960 Pro / Evo

Associate
Take a look at this page:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/offer/ssdclaim

In the terms and conditions it says its in the uk (this is the samsung uk website) it also says the purchase has to be between november the 29th 2016 and 8th January 2017, seems abit unfair if its true as we were the original pre-orders, i preordered in october.

Also if you look at the elegible products at the bottom the 960 pro and evo arent there, but if you look at the main promo picture they are clearly there.

It says on the ubisoft website to contact the point of sale if we do not recieve a code, my 960 pro 1tb is coming today, if it doesnt have a code ill phone around samsung and the retailer i purchased it from and report back if i get any luck, might aswel at least try for a brand new game :)

Im hoping as im on a z170 chipset i dont have to lose my overclock but i'll also report back on that too

Last edited:
Soldato
Take a look at this page:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/offer/ssdclaim

In the terms and conditions it says its in the uk (this is the samsung uk website) it also says the purchase has to be between november the 29th 2016 and 8th January 2017, seems abit unfair if its true as we were the original pre-orders, i preordered in october.

Also if you look at the elegible products at the bottom the 960 pro and evo arent there, but if you look at the main promo picture they are clearly there.

It says on the ubisoft website to contact the point of sale if we do not recieve a code, my 960 pro 1tb is coming today, if it doesnt have a code ill phone around samsung and the retailer i purchased it from and report back if i get any luck, might aswel at least try for a brand new game :)

Im hoping as im on a z170 chipset i dont have to lose my overclock but i'll also report back on that too

Ah cool, that site is for the UK, thanks will see if I can get a code as it defo applies to us.Though not sure why as I already have the game heh

Managed to clear the issue and get the OC dialed in again. Rest of the BIOS and clear of the CMOS sorted the problem. I think you will be golden :)

Soldato
I was going to get a 512Gb 960 Pro but they seem to be sold out so I was thinking of getting the 500Gb 960 EVO instead. It’s a bit cheaper too, obviously it’s a bit slower in reviews and benchmarks but realistically how much difference would there be in real work applications i.e. Gaming and general PC usage?

Soldato
I was going to get a 512Gb 960 Pro but they seem to be sold out so I was thinking of getting the 500Gb 960 EVO instead. It’s a bit cheaper too, obviously it’s a bit slower in reviews and benchmarks but realistically how much difference would there be in real work applications i.e. Gaming and general PC usage?

Difference will be minor. Comparing the real world feel between my 950 pro 512 GB and 960 Pro 1 TB the differences are not huge. With the 960 Evo falling in between in terms of specs, the gap would be even smaller really. Also the the 512GB pro is odd in that it shares the sequential speeds with the 1TB and 2TB drives, but unlike those two, its Random speeds are like the Evo's.

For gaming you won't see much (if any) a difference from a normal 2.5" SSD like the 850 Evo anyways.

Associate
i phoned the retailer i purchased it from and they sent me the code for watch dogs 2, very happy with that :)

the 960 pro is up and running and damn its fast, i came from an old 5400rpm hdd so this is like magic alien technology to me.

Associate
From a 5400RPM to a 960 pro?

Haha, that's some increase. Enjoy!

You're damn right it is haha

With the old hdd i used to press the power button and go off to make a cup of tea, it would take a good 5 minutes or so to start up and load everything up.

With the 960 pro it starts up and loads everything before my monitor starts up, what kind of witchcraft is this?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was torn between the 960 Pro for raw speed and the 960 Evo, swung back and forth a few times but after reading pretty much every review I could find, I have settled on a 1TB 960 Evo (instead of the 512Gb Pro) for gaming. The Pro figures do look amazing but as with many reviewers I don’t think I would really notice that extra one-tenth-of-one-second in real world applications. Doesn’t seem to load games faster either (although the Pro does look like it will install games faster from one review). My current 500Gb SSD (and the 160Gb) are both full so I need the extra space.

I remember being amazed by my old Intel ssd coming from old HDDs so I am expecting a similar jump here.

Soldato
I was torn between the 960 Pro for raw speed and the 960 Evo, swung back and forth a few times but after reading pretty much every review I could find, I have settled on a 1TB 960 Evo (instead of the 512Gb Pro) for gaming. The Pro figures do look amazing but as with many reviewers I don’t think I would really notice that extra one-tenth-of-one-second in real world applications. Doesn’t seem to load games faster either (although the Pro does look like it will install games faster from one review). My current 500Gb SSD (and the 160Gb) are both full so I need the extra space.

I remember being amazed by my old Intel ssd coming from old HDDs so I am expecting a similar jump here.

Good choice IMO. I do not notice a massive real world diffrence between my 950 Pro and 960 pro 1TB expect few select scenarios. With the evo specs landing in between would be even less noticeable, more so with the 500GB of the pro sharing random speeds of the Evo class anyways and only the 1TB and 2TB pro stand aside in that regards. For gaming will be even less noticeable even from normal 2.5 SSD, but to be expected given gaming does not shine as a use case.

Associate
Seriously whats going on the Pro stock? does samsung not want us to buy them? are they so popular oversees that stock never makes it to us?

I've had one on order for over a month, Its been delayed 4 times because the expected delivery date of them is never right, Now the expected date is the 4th of Jan!

What is going on (fully aware its not any retailers fault)

Associate
Seriously whats going on the Pro stock? does samsung not want us to buy them? are they so popular oversees that stock never makes it to us?

I've had one on order for over a month, Its been delayed 4 times because the expected delivery date of them is never right, Now the expected date is the 4th of Jan!

What is going on (fully aware its not any retailers fault)

If it makes you feel any better I paid for a 2Tb 960 on the 25th of Oct, and I am still waiting too. Not that happy, but again what can one do? No one else seems to have any of these yet. I've been waiting to finish a build since Oct.........:mad:

Back
Top Bottom