Switching to AHCI & storage drives

Soldato
I've noticed in my bios I have my sata drives and SSD running in IDE mode!! :eek:

My PC has windows 10 installed on C which is the SSD. I have three storage drives which contain multimedia.

The OC in me is compelling me to do a reinstall of windows so I can switch to AHCI mode.

Whats the best way to reinstall windows but not wipe the data on my three storage drives?

Should I disconnect them, switch to AHCI, reinstall Win 10 and then reconnect the drives and Widows should mount them without needing to do a reformat on the drives?

---

Also is it worth it? Am I loosing out much if at all having my SSD and sata drives in IDE mode?

Soldato
A full reinstall with only the drive you want the installation on would be the right way, then just reconnect the other drives.

-edit Used to be good practice to only have one connected for the install anyway, so you could be certain where the MBR was, not sure if this remains the case.

Soldato
OP
Hmm...

I don't think it works like that. I've changed the bios to ahci reinstalled windows and then reconnected the drives.

When I boot it up again, it tells me some drives are inaccessible! :eek:

They are visible in the bios. I seems you have to have then connected when you install windows....

----

My bad. Just needed to tell Windows the boot drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strange, why did you have to tell windows the boot drive, was this a one time thing, did it not know the boot drive from your reinstall, or were things present from a previous time, with a second MBR on one of the other drives?

Glad it is all working.

Back
Top Bottom