Hard Drive Dying?/SSD Slow Boot Time

Associate
Every day if I'm listening to tunes on iTunes, every now and again I'll click a song iTunes will frozen more or less and I can hear my drive ticking then it'll stop ticking and the song will play.
Is my HD dying?
My SSD also boots up slow compared to what it use to, tried everything reinstalling Windows 7, tweaking BIOS settings. Nothing works.

Soldato
Is there apps installed on the HDD that are loaded when Windows starts? If that drive is struggling it'll cause windows to freeze while it tries to read it even though Windows is installed on the SSD.

I would get that HDD backed up asap. I ignored a dodgy drive for a few days a week ago and now I've lost almost everything that was on it.

Associate
OP
Will do, will get the money and buy a new 2TB HDD or maybe larger capacity. Maybe buying a new SSD will fix the slow boot time?

Last edited:
Associate
If you haven't got a backup then that should be your priority whether your disk is dying or not... (I think I'm channelling bledd, er BMcB, here... :p)

Some green drives sleep after a period of inactivity and can take a few seconds to wake up again - it's possible that's what is happening but 'ticking' is a sign that the drive is struggling to read the data correctly. Looking at the SMART data may give some clues (e.g. using CrystalDiskInfo, HDTune). Once you've backed-up I'd run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Soldato
when you re installed the OS did you have the HDD connected?

sometimes the OS during install stores data on the HDD (MBR) which maybe causing the slow boots.

when doing a OS re install the only drive you should have connected is the OS SSD\HDD.

Associate
OP
I belive my HDD was installed when I installed my OS, but I'm not sure I have a feeling it wasn't. I'll run trim and check to see if my HDD has any MBR data on it as well.
Checked my SSD and HDD, my SSD has partion style MBR and HDD as GPT.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds to me like the hard drive is dying. Especially since I've had a dying hard drive before. How long have you had it for and what hard drive is it exactly? There are good 1TB HDs for around £50 and 2TB for a fair bit more. Or spend a whole lot extra on a 960GB SSD if you so desire.

Some of the larger hard drives, when new can make loud noises when in use, even when brand new. My WD Black is failry noisy and I was going to return it. But I Googled it and found that it was a downside to the some of the WD 2TB drives.

Back
Top Bottom