New SSD

Soldato
I have an old Intel 520 180GB SSD. It's been a brilliant SSD and I have had it for over 3 years now (maybe 4 years old). I want to upgrade to windows 10 but I dont want to risk wiping my currently SSD in case anything goes wrong or it doesn't accept the upgrade for whatever reason.

So, I am in the market for a new SSD, ideally around the 500GB as my current 180GB is a bit small when it comes to having games installed on it so an upgrade was needed anyway. I have seen this drive recommended many times on here and just wanted to check its still the best bang for buck and most importantly, are they reliable?

Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-SLi and has a m.2 slot, but reading the manual tells me this will disable two of my sata ports which I would rather not do (I need at least 4 for my storage drives, and a 5th for my DVDRW that I don't use...). Would I benefit from one of the new PCI-E m.2 drives, if so which one should I get?

Soldato
OP
Was hoping for peoples opinions. Reliability is very important to me. I also remember Kingston changed something on their last line of SSD's shortly after release which made them slower than advertised so not sure I trust them this time around.

Oh and TY for moving my thread to a dead section of the forum whoever that was :D I posted in GH for a reason.

Soldato
I've got a 1tb Samsung 850 EVO as my game drive. & a 120gb msata drive again from Samsung as OS drive . Both have been faultless.

Also have a Crucial M500 which I've used for over 2 years & not had any problems with it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Robzero31. I am still a bit undecided about what to spend me cash on.

Does anyone recommend spending the extra to get the 850 PRO as per below? I quite like the fact it comes with a 10 year warranty, must be reliable.....

512GB SSD 850 PRO SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-7KE512BW)

Soldato
Was hoping for peoples opinions. Reliability is very important to me. I also remember Kingston changed something on their last line of SSD's shortly after release which made them slower than advertised so not sure I trust them this time around.

Grab the first ones quick. ;)

APM

APM

Associate
I just picked up a Samsung 128GB SSD to hold my Win 10 upgrade and it is impressively fast compared to my SanDisk.

Back
Top Bottom