Good SSD recommendations

Associate
Personally, having an SSD for gaming is over kill, and you'll not really notice any difference.

Moving on, Installing a SSHD would be a much better option for games, I'm a heavy steam gamer and have all my Game on a 4TB SSHD with 8GB SSD Cache I think it has.

I'm actually upgrading my VR Gaming rig and after doing some research, I'm still installing another SSHD for media also, though an M.2 SSD for the OS.

Associate
OP
Personally, having an SSD for gaming is over kill, and you'll not really notice any difference.

Moving on, Installing a SSHD would be a much better option for games, I'm a heavy steam gamer and have all my Game on a 4TB SSHD with 8GB SSD Cache I think it has.

I'm actually upgrading my VR Gaming rig and after doing some research, I'm still installing another SSHD for media also, though an M.2 SSD for the OS.

It is overkill but it is just nice for my various platforms like Steam, Battlenet, Origin Uplay all to loadup nice and fast and then for certain games to load up pretty quickly as well.

Soldato

It isn't an overkill at all. All my games load near enough instantly. Since when is making your PC faster an overkill?!

Soldato
My first SSD was 128GB, the next 250GB, and it's still too small. I want to ditch my mechanical drive and go for a 1TB SSD. I sure as heck wouldn't be buying a TLC drive like the Crucial BX after all the terrible reviews.

BX got really bad reviews why?
I have a couple of machines with them as the main drive, they seem reasonably, not intensive worked, but fine for fast desktops?

Have there been issues with these drives?

Associate
It is overkill but it is just nice for my various platforms like Steam, Battlenet, Origin Uplay all to loadup nice and fast and then for certain games to load up pretty quickly as well.

I totally understand your reasoning, and It's your machine, I'm was simply pointing out there's no real world difference that you personally wouldn't notice.

Seeing as there's 8GB Cache on most large SSHDs all your gaming programs will easily fit into the SSHDs cache, allowing them to load just as fast as a normal SSD, SSHDs will only store files which you use the most often on the SSD part of it, Giving Steam Origin Etc, SSD loading times anyway.

Moving on, It's just an observation that's been made as not all games load their Data the same. Games that load a single large file wouldn't really benefit from an SSD compared to games that load lots of random small files.

----------------------------------

It isn't an overkill at all. All my games load near enough instantly. Since when is making your PC faster an overkill?!

That's not want I claimed, :confused: Please don't twist my words and make it sound like I'm saying something I've never said, Thank you. ;)

---------------------------------

This isn't underclockers my friend :)

SSDs are of course more suited to applications that use a lot of small files, rather than just opening large files, but I'd expect games to load significantly faster. A hybrid could work as well though.

Moving from an HDD to a SSHD is not under-clocking,:D

Correct, that's actually what I just mentioned in my statement, maybe one day, SSDs will be able to handle large files in the near future, (Fingers Crossed).

--------------------------------

I understand that the Crucial BX SSds have somewhat slower write speeds, No caching or high-end encryption & Lacks protection in case of power-loss, all of which are bad selling points.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Except load times are vastly better...

Anyway, there's more to the decision than just speed. Mechanical drives take up more space and make audible noise when in use (mostly through vibration tranmitted into the case). Bad for us quiet-freaks :p

I have a couple of machines with them as the main drive, they seem reasonably, not intensive worked, but fine for fast desktops?

They are in all ways worse than the MX drives they replaced. Because the BX use TLC, which is cheaper but worse performing (not just speed) than MLC memory.

TLC flash is the poor cousin of MLC (itself the poor cousin of SLC) and is only used to cut costs.

e: Correction, the BX100 is MLC. It's the BX200 (that replaced the BX100) that now uses TLC flash. It's the BX200 that gets the poor reviews.

Last edited:
Associate
Here's the plan:
Buy Sammy 850 EVO (not sure which size).
Use Samsung Data Migration software to copy my Win 7 to new SSD.
Update Win 7 on new SSD to Win 10, keeping old SSD as Win 7 backup.
See how well the new Win10 works, and if necessary, do a fresh install.

Does that sound sensible?

I've installed a few of these for friends their fast and you can use the magician software to clone your existing drive saving you the need to reinstall the o.s.

Then you could format your original SSD and stick it in as a second drive.
Does the Samsung Migration software allow you to clone an OS on a small SSD onto a new bigger SSD without losing the extra space?

I run a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro in my main PC as the main drive, split into 2 partition (Win7 + 10).
You have two OS on the same drive - could I have Win7 & Win10 on different drives without a problem?

Size:
My current SSD is 128GB - it has all my software installed and there's currently 9GB free.
Is there any point in getting a 500GB SSD, or should I just get a 250?
All Data goes on other mechanical drives.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom