**Baddass' Guide to Wireless Networking and FAQ**

Soldato
Nice guide!

Also, this seemed like the most relevant thread to post that I am so excited after discovering how to make Intel My Wifi work with my Mcafee firewall:

McAfee firewall was blocking internet access from my phone through this 'my wifi' shindiggery, so to use it you had to turn the firewall off (which is hardly ideal). I then tried adding the 'my wifi' related programs to the list of allowed programs (weren't there already which was strange), but still no success. Then I added my phones IP address to the Mcafee firewalls list of 'connections', and now it works! YAY SO HAPPY!

But I will have to do it again when my phones IP changes, but no matter, I can work it now! :)

Associate
Hi

I am just about to digest Baddass' comprehensive report on wireless. But just for now...

I am going to change my 802,11b router to an 802.11n.

Are speed increases common in the UK?

And does the list go:

802.11b - Oldest
802.11g - Newer
802.11n - Newest?

Andrew
North Staffs.

PS If you read this Baddass, that is quite a help volume you compiled. More like a course really. Amazing. Thanks.

Associate
This might need re-writing :p

Especially as we are have gone through a,b,g,n and now on ac.

Keep in mind guys that while 2.4GHz has more interference issues than 5GHz, it also has a longer range. If you are having issues with interference change your channel too 1, 6 or 12 to avoid conflicting spectrums. Don't succumb too PC Worlds sale tactics that their overpriced 5GHz routers are unstoppable :p You will only be back the next day too buy Home Plugs!

If your buying a new router look at 802.11ac, it is capable of up too 450Mbps (reportedly), and has an awesome range on it. It is a tad pricy at the moment (£100 mark +) but they should be a reasonable price by Summer.

Caporegime
@Kol what chance a review of all the stickies and either ask for a rewrite or delete them if they're no longer valid or of use? I mean this one was originally written 13 years ago and last replied to three years ago.

Caporegime
I don't think it's worth putting the effort into rewriting stickies when they won't be maintained. I think you're better off just shoving a bunch of links to relevant Wikipedia pages in there if you feel like you need something.

Back
Top Bottom