4tb Drive recommendations

Associate
I'm looking into getting a 4th drive for my NAS and am getting hung up on the final choice, I've narrowed it down to either:
  • Seagate IronWolf 4tb
  • HGST Deskstar NAS 4tb

I like the HGST as they seem to be some of the most reliable drives when looking into the BackBlaze storage data, I know there are many ways to interpret the results and they're not as straightforward as some make out but the HGST drives seem to have much lower failure rates overall. They do seem to be getting discontinued in some places however which makes me question whether there are better/newer options.

The Ironwolf on the other hand seems to be a much newer drive with some nice features built in such as AgileArray which will work in nicely together with my Synology NAS as the two compnaies have made a partnership with regards to this software.

Would anyone else have a reason for either one or perhaps something completely different?

Associate
OP
Sorry looks like a typo in the initial sentence but I should have made it clearer that this will be the 4th and final drive in the array. Already got 2x4tb and 1x3tb in there.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The others I have are 2x wd greens and a Seagate i removed from an external enclosure, I would prefer to go for a drive that is geared towards NAS usage rather than the existing ones I have. Went for the Seagate anyway FWIW.

Soldato
WD Red, all day, everyday...

As for the Greens, have you modded the idle time?
Greens, at least original ones had an issue with parking too often which will give a SMART error after 300k parks...

Associate
OP
WD Red, all day, everyday...

As for the Greens, have you modded the idle time?
Greens, at least original ones had an issue with parking too often which will give a SMART error after 300k parks...

I haven't heard of that actually, I'll take a look into it. I remember making some changes to my drives when putting them in but that was so long ago I can't remember which changes. The WD Green has 33k power on hours with no smart errors flagging up so far so I might be ok on that one.

If the Seagate fails during initial testing then I may just return for a WD Red.

Associate
OP
Have a quick Google chap, that'll throw up plenty of threads on the subject..

I see now, recognised the WDIDLE3.exe program straight away from the online articles on this so 99% sure I did this when initially setting up the drive. Good shout though, will hopefully alert others who may not have realised.

Back
Top Bottom