Samsung PM961 M.2 poor performance

Soldato
Yeah sorry I've done a bit or research myself & I understand it a bit better now, even the i7 skylake cpu's only have 16 lanes, looks like i'll be getting something more on the lines of a 5390k or equivalent for my next build.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.. :)

No problem. Skylake is different to Z97. As I said above, my skylake build has a 16 lane CPU and my GFX is x16. But the Skylake chipset has m.2 4x lanes built into the mobo so still works. Essentially giving me 20 lanes. Most, if not all Skylake setups do this. So you could achieve what you want by getting a Z170 board and a 6600k.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks thats good to know I'll bear that in mind, still got a bit of time to go yet before I upgrade so there might be an even better setup to go for by then :)

Soldato
I think next year we'll see boards capable of RAID M.2.

We're on the cusp of it now. I have a PC with an ASRock Extreme 11 X99 motherboard; despite it being over a year old it has 5xPCIE x16 slots, it also has a 2*PLX chip meaning with a 5930k or better it can provide 72 PCIE 3 lanes.

It also has 2x 32GB/ps m.2 ports on it. Absolute beast!

Last edited:
Soldato
This is what my sm951 gets on a z97:
SM951_Z97_10Gb_zpsfiu5mybk.png

Associate
I've found a solution to this, you don't need to install any other drivers.

Earlier my AS SSD benchmark was showing

But if you go to the properties in device manager and check the second box

then you get this

Associate
Hey mag1caltrev0r you are my hero lol :D That was a big improvement for me, not as fast as yours as im guessing you're on a newer mobo with faster M.2 slot or in a 4x pci slot?
Test result now.

upload an image

You're welcome. I was about to return my drive, I was minutes from wiping it and removing it from my PC. I stumbled across the solution when reading a review for the 960 Pro (which I was considering buying instead).

My results are on a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 5 so it's got the Gen3 x4 M.2 slots capable of 32Gbps

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I thought so, seems like im stuck with these speeds until my next upgrade, looks like Troop is using a 4x M.2 slot as well. Thanks again :)

Soldato
I've found a solution to this, you don't need to install any other drivers.

Earlier my AS SSD benchmark was showing

But if you go to the properties in device manager and check the second box

then you get this

Not trying to be funny... but your first run of AS SSD looks like you are trying to run it from somewhere other than your C: drive (IE. the drive your OS is on). If you do this, then the write test "hangs" and never completes.

PS. And if that drive contains your OS, then in the event of a power cut, you risk corrupting the drive.

Last edited:
Associate
I ran the benchmark from the C: drive originally but even when I ran it from elsewhere then I got the same results. I honestly can't remember whether the screenshot was taken in one configuration or the other.

You raise a good point about data corruption. If I have data loss then it's hardly critical and I'll just rebuild it, all my docs are held externally or on cloud storage and games are installed on another drive.

You're right to raise it as I hadn't really considered that... maybe I best dig the UPS out of the garage!

Associate
Some info for people thinking about running SM951 with a Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter Card

512GB SM951 on MSI Z77A-G43 with Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini

MX1Fu70.png

512GB SM951 on MSI Z170-A PRO

cqRU4t1.png

Back
Top Bottom