Should I get rid of the SSD

Associate
Hello

So one of my relatives is using their computer for their own company. It has a 60GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. However the problem is, is that the SSD is filled up and will not let them open programs. I was thinking of just ditching the SSD and just stick everything on the hard drive. Am I able to do that without having to wipe everything, all i would have to do is change the directories?

Thanks

Will

Soldato
Hello

So one of my relatives is using their computer for their own company. It has a 60GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. However the problem is, is that the SSD is filled up and will not let them open programs. I was thinking of just ditching the SSD and just stick everything on the hard drive. Am I able to do that without having to wipe everything, all i would have to do is change the directories?

Thanks

Will

No, that's not going to work.

You have a few options:

1) try and clean up some space on the SSD. If you're using windows, click start, run and type cleanmgr and run through that. Also you can move the page file.sys to the other drive which should free up a couple of GB.

2) Buy a bigger SSD and use Macrium Reflect to clone the 60GB drive onto the new, larger one.

3) Ditch the SSD as you have suggested, but to do this you will need to backup all the data on the secondary larger disk, install windows/clone the SSD onto it and then restore the original data.

Associate
OP
No, that's not going to work.

You have a few options:

1) try and clean up some space on the SSD. If you're using windows, click start, run and type cleanmgr and run through that. Also you can move the page file.sys to the other drive which should free up a couple of GB.

2) Buy a bigger SSD and use Macrium Reflect to clone the 60GB drive onto the new, larger one.

3) Ditch the SSD as you have suggested, but to do this you will need to backup all the data on the secondary larger disk, install windows/clone the SSD onto it and then restore the original data.

I know this sounds wired, could i not just copy and paste the data from the ssd into the hard drive and then run windows off the hard drive like that?

Soldato
The easy option is to get a 120GB SSD or a hard drive and clone the 60GB drive. A 120GB SSD can be had for £40 or a bit less if you shop around.

Soldato
Get a bigger SSD, 60GB was acceptable when the price per GB of SSDs was that much more but now they are a lot more cost effective you'll probably find you can pick up a 256GB drive for around £50-60. Definitely worthwhile to not have these kinds of issues. I've had a 256GB drive for over a year now and I've only used 90GB so plenty of breathing space.

Soldato
Definitely get a bigger SSD and then clone the O/S drive to the bigger drive, if you remove the SSD and use the 1Tb it will feel so much slower and he'll get fed up of waiting for everything.

Soldato
It will take awhile but you can copy the C: drive to the hdd location, just at some point it will tell you all system files and os can't be transferred which is obvious, then erase those files on the ssd, as it wouldn't be classed as a shortcut you won't lose out.

I have done this many times when I wanted to reinstall Windows and didn't have a external drive at hand or see what is on the ssd that you could move to the hdd in general.

Soldato
If you have all the program discs serial numbers, you could uninstall them and then reinstall to the D: (1TB Drive)

Use CCleaner to remove excess junk on the SSD.

Soldato
I would have put the windows / apps just on the HDD, then used the 60gb SSD as a cache drive. This is presuming your motherboard supports Intel Smart Response Technology, it gives performance largely similar to SSD speeds but the benefit of large storage from the HDD.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html

Also notice this is the path Dell are going with some of their i5 and i7 desktops now, large HDD then a small SSD with the SRT pre setup.

Back
Top Bottom