Extending Wifi - Help!

Soldato
Yep, another one of these threads!

I have a specific requirement where I would like to extend the wifi in the house we have moved to.

We are with Virgin and I currently have the AC68u covering the wireless duties and whilst it is perfect for the job, this house has a rather long extension at the back - the end of which has a chromecast and smart tv attached.

Despite being very strong at its job, the AC68u does not carry enough juice for this back part of the house and as such I am looking to extend the wifi range.

Now I have a pair of beefy powerlines and an old DIR-615 router with DDWRT installed.

I just cant get it to work!

I have tried following this guide here, but with no success. I change the SSID and security key to the same as the AC68u along with the DHCP off. I have also given it a static IP and made sure its on a separate channel.

All that happens is, when I connect to the router, I get no internet access....

Something is missing, I just do not know what!

Soldato
OP
Looks like its working now, thanks for the link!

Spent a long time wondering why the lan ports were not accepting the powerline, switched the wan port over and boom, it all works!

Solid 50mbps at the back of the house (ok so its not the full 200 but who cares!)

Soldato
OP
Just thought I would update this, the DIR 615 was faulty in the end, would crash and hang after a while so wasn't really worth it.

Recently picked up a cheap AC68u which is now used as an Access Point and now have solid wifi everywhere in the house! (including a full 200mbps on the 5ghz band!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom