• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake systems are vulnerable to a USB debugging exploit

Soldato
Intel's new CPUs flawed: full system control over USB

Intel's new CPUs flawed: full system control over USB

Positive Technologies, a security vendor, has discovered that some of Intel's new CPUs have a debugging interface that can be accessed through USB 3.0 ports. This provides the hacker - and at the point of using as USB flash drive, any person in the world that can hold a USB stick in their hands - full control over the PC. Worse yet, it is completely undetectable by current security tools.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55828...ll-system-control-over-usb/index.html[/quote]

this includes kaby lake as well

Soldato
This already came up... requires physical access to a USB port. So be extra vigilant of anyone knocking at your door who is in possession of any kind of USB device and requesting access to your PC. I know it's the done thing and only polite to allow such people access in to your home, but PLEASE try and keep them away from your PC, no matter how nicely they ask.

Associate
Doesn't necessarily require physical access when most people don't disable autorun and pick up random USB keys they find on the ground ..

Caporegime
This is why Intel's mainstream (mobile) platform is generations ahead of the enthusiast (servers) platform, it's just a testing ground because bugs like this aren't really as critical.

Associate
lol seriously.people knocking at my door requesting access to my pc? haha thats funny. well il be sure to know if that dose happen il know straight away its a scam since thats never happend before.

Associate
Pretty sure autorun has been disabled by default for a number of years now (one of the XP service packs I think?)
Actually yes you are right. However I think there are potential ways around that (for example reprogramming a USB drive to act as a HID, or Stuxnet used a zero-day vulnerability in LNK files)

Soldato
1) Get a cleaning job in a large office building with many small companies that have poor IT security.

2) Insert USB stick into unattended desktops at 7am.

3) ???

4) Profit!

...meant that to be funny, realised it's entirely possible to do. Let's hope this issue goes away before the average small company buys new hardware :/

Soldato
Go for an interview with false credentials. Insert USB stick that identifies itself as a keyboard and you are good to go. You don't need a new USB exploit to get going, one already exists thanks to how keyboards are seen by the computer.

Soldato
This already came up... requires physical access to a USB port.

This is a real problem when the person inserting the device is you. The device doesn't have to be a memory stick. It could be a mouse or a wifi adapter or anything. It might even be what looks like a USB cable. If you're a business, how are you going to respond to a package containing free product samples? "We are announcing our new range of multicoloured USB cables. Please find enclosed a sample of our range from 0.5 to 3 metres. All cable lengths are available in all colours; custom colours available on request..." Just as data centres colour code network cables, so I've known organisations that would love to colour code USB connections. Plug in and it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom