• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

High CPU Core Voltage (stock settings)

Soldato
There will be no physical damage to the CPU from drawing the excessive voltage, so dont worry about that.

It seams like Intel shouldn't really be the one picking up the bill as its a failing with a gigabyte board thats caused this issue... But I would probably take Intel up on their offer anyway if they are willing to swap it for you.

I'm surprised OCUK haven't been more helpful to be honest :( Did you try posting in the customer service section at the top of the forum and linking to this thread? Maybe Bailey or someone might be able to give a 2nd opinion on the situation?

Associate
There will be no physical damage to the CPU from drawing the excessive voltage, so dont worry about that.

It seams like Intel shouldn't really be the one picking up the bill as its a failing with a gigabyte board thats caused this issue... But I would probably take Intel up on their offer anyway if they are willing to swap it for you.

I'm surprised OCUK haven't been more helpful to be honest :( Did you try posting in the customer service section at the top of the forum and linking to this thread? Maybe Bailey or someone might be able to give a 2nd opinion on the situation?

This ^^^

Associate
OP
i haven't posted anything in there, but i may as well. i'm clutching at straws here.

is there any chance the motherboard may have been damaged as well (due to the high voltage)?

i'd ordered a new asus rog strix 1070 graphics card at the same time i got the case but that didn't arrive until today. it's just sat in the box. no way i'd want to put that in if there's a chance it could get damaged (i wouldn't put it in any way unless i could completely resolve the instability issues)

Associate
OP
just downloading bf1 atm. I haven't had any crashes since reinstalling the gfx card drivers so hopefully that's sorted. will give it a good test on bf and see what happens. thanks for all of your help so far

Associate
just downloading bf1 atm. I haven't had any crashes since reinstalling the gfx card drivers so hopefully that's sorted. will give it a good test on bf and see what happens. thanks for all of your help so far

Np Glad we could all help ...

just keep an eye on the temps

and when you get the thermal paste will get your mem up to speed and test from there

Associate
OP
ok so i've got bf up and running, left it on in window mode so i can monitor temps, here's how it looks after 10 mins:

ot8j3yX.png

i'll leave it running, the temps are much better here. will give it an hour or so and see what happens.

no crashes still so far

Associate
OP
ok so i just left bf1 running for an hour, in that time i played for around 15 minutes without issue.

quit and decided to run aida, i intended to leave it running for 15 minutes. after 4 seconds it froze, blue screened with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT :(

everything i've read regarding this error points to the cpu. given i'm running auto voltage i'm starting to think that the cpu is damaged as a result of the voltage it was receiving from the motherboard under the old bios. i don't know if i'm right in saying this, but it seems my only option at this to set the voltage manually, and increase it. the problem i have with this is that temperatures are already quite high (hitting 80°C in aida in under a minute) and any additional voltage is just gonna burn it up more.

Last edited:
Associate
ok so i just left bf1 running for an hour, in that time i played for around 15 minutes without issue.

quit and decided to run aida, i intended to leave it running for 15 minutes. after 4 seconds it froze, blue screened with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT :(

everything i've read regarding this error points to the cpu. given i'm running auto voltage i'm starting to think that the cpu is damaged as a result of the voltage it was receiving from the motherboard under the old bios. i don't know if i'm right in saying this, but it seems my only option at this to set the voltage manually, and increase it. the problem i have with this is that temperatures are already quite high (hitting 80°C in aida in under a minute) and any additional voltage is just gonna burn it up more.

So you where sold a pre configured kit that was suppose to work correctly and i assume should have been configured in the bios so that the parts run as intended which is not the case ..the fault being XMP with using incorrect / incompatible combo of memory / Mb ..

it maybe only that memory you have and the only way to tell would be to try another set of the same memory... but i would expect they would all have the same issue...

So the blame is OC uk So i would at least let hem know this ...

makes you wonder how many other peeps that bought these kits & are unaware they have/still running 1.4+ on the core not good

So see what Oc uk have to say

And take Intel's offer too

Tbh
I think there have been big issues with compatibility with certain makes of MB on z87 z97 chip sets and certain brands of memory not running correctly with XMP ..

if you goggle it z98 z97 xmp problems you will find lots of peeps with the same issue's

yes they say you should manually set your memory to get the best results & i agree but XMP was designed to make use of 1 click option to use extended memory profile when it works it works but when its does not the Cpu mem controller go's over the top pumping more volts to the core for some reason ...

note to self - don't try to edit posts whilst drunk else you may quote them by mistake...

i do it all the time :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just a quick update - i took your advice and posted in the customer services forum with a bit of background information and linking to this thread. Ohlawll has obviously had a look in to it and has very kindly told me he would like to replace the cpu for me - i can't believe it! going to remove it tonight, package it up and send it off. will have a couple of days downtime but i'll be more than happy if by the end of it i have a working pc (with normal voltage/temperature!!).

how should i safely package the cpu? i've never had the box. i do have an antistatic bag from my gpu, but im concerned without inserting the pins in to some foam or something they might bend. there is a lot of foam in my gpus packaging (see below), but is it safe to insert the cpu pins in to it or do i risk damaging it? (sorry for the dumb question)

sgzs0QH.png

thank you so much for all of your help, i've learned so much

harney - was it not the motherboard bios causing the problem? when i first noticed the voltage on friday/saturday and reset with defaults (xmp disabled), the voltage was still at 1.419v. i'm hoping that's the cause (after updating from F4 -> F8 the voltage dropped to 1.224v) because if i enable xmp again with a new cpu and it spikes up i'm back to square one (would definitely have to replace the motherboard), though i'm hoping it was just the bios (i'd read, and i'm sure someone else mentioned in this thread, that this was the problem)

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad you got it sorted out mate!

There are no pins on Intel CPUs, the pins are on the motherboard.

I don't think you should have any issues with the new CPU with the updated bios, just make sure you check its running sensible voltage when its installed, if so, job done.

Associate
OP
ah shows how much i know doesn't it :|

i'll just pop it in the bag then and bubble wrap it

so when the new cpu comes. put it in, put some thermal paste on (ordered some arctic silver 5 - reviews said it was good?), put the cooler back on and fire it up. then just enable xmp and see if it's stable?

thanks again for the help, appreciate it so much!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, sounds like you got a decent plan.

Just make 100% sure its not running crazy volts again and that its stable and that temps are decent enough, if so then I think you should be good to just enjoy it lol

Associate
ah shows how much i know doesn't it :|

i'll just pop it in the bag then and bubble wrap it

so when the new cpu comes. put it in, put some thermal paste on (ordered some arctic silver 5 - reviews said it was good?), put the cooler back on and fire it up. then just enable xmp and see if it's stable?

thanks again for the help, appreciate it so much!

Great result

however it may not be the cpu at fault here it could be the memory with that cetain board

Will see once you get the new cpu and try XMP as a test if you get the same issuie then its that mem with that mb nothing much you can do apart from getting memory that will work with that mb

but what i would do for less down time is manually set-up the memory once you have the new cpu will see once you get it ..

Take note be careful not to let anything get into the MB cpu area where the pins are as i suspect you do not have the plastic CPU protector that comes wit the board

and when you place in the new cpu take care and make sure you line up the notches with the socket and cpu there is only one way correctly it will go in and clamp down just take your time

hopefully this will be all sorted

Also take a photo of the CPU to jot down the numbers you do not want the same one coming back do you

Associate
OP
hi guys

i'm very happy to say that i'm back up and running. ocuk received my return yesterday, and within 20 minutes of doing so Ohlawll had personally gone and picked the replacement, and upgraded it to saturday delivery free of charge. incredible customer service!

i'm running with optimised defaults again, all i've done is enabled xmp (so far so good, ran a short 15 minute stress test in aida, max temps reached 59°C without the fans hitting 100%). vcore is currently sat at ~0.72v with cores idle, but with the boost clock it hits 1.283v - is there any reason to be concerned or is this perfectly safe?

just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone, but in particular harney and new boy, for all of your help in getting this issue resolved. you've no idea how grateful i am, and i feel like i've learned a lot! big thanks to Ohlawll as well for sorting me out with a replacement so quickly, given the circumstances i don't think i know of any company who'd do the same.

fingers crossed there are no more issues!

Soldato
Nice result :D

1.283v is 100% perfectly safe. Though if I was nitpicking, I might say its a little higher than I would expect for stock, but really, It will be fine to leave it like that.

Enjoy the system, and you could use the skills you have learnt from this to overclock your CPU in future if you get bored :)

Associate
OP
yeah i thought it was a little on the high side (and i like to nitpick as well) so i had a read through the oc guide somebody posted earlier in this thread (which uses the same motherboard as mine).

i set the cpu vcore to 1.16v as a test and worked my way up until it's (hopefully) stable. ended up at 1.190v. i've enabled C3 and EIST so that when idle the frequency and vcore voltages drop (~0.76v). one thing i did notice is that the VID for each core is slightly different (and none are exactly what i set the vcore to(?) - see img below)

A4MEC7c.png

and further down in hwinfo, there's some entries from the motherboard with their own vcore readings (i presume these are accurate since the ones in the image shown above don't show any fluctuation in voltage whereas these do), but they show vcore at 1.140 in the top part, and all cores hitting 1.134 in the second:

OqVXVJj.png

either way the voltage is still much lower than it was, and temperatures are down even further!

so, just out of interest:

1. what's the difference between vcore and vid, and why do i see a difference between the maximum reported voltages for the vcores in the sensor data from hwinfo?
2. why does vid show (in the first image) show ~1.120v on all cores when idle, but the second image shows vcores around ~0.76v?
3. when vcore is set to auto in the bios, what determines the voltage the cpu requires?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom