wrong Wireless Cable & Fibre Router

Soldato
Yeah, you can even disable DHCP on the Sky Hub.

The fundamental part I missed before (and this is because it different from my friend on Sky Fibre) is that he has the BT Openreach modem (or whatever)

My friend just has an Sky Hub SR102 plugged into the wall and that gives him 80Mb Fibre. Removing the Sky Hub form his link would mean he had no modem.

Removing the Sky Hub from the OPs network sounds like he'd still have a modem. I totally missed that!

Soldato
Can't you just give the second router an IP in the LAN subnet of the Sky Hub, set the Sky Hub as the default gateway and disable WiFi on the Sky Hub? Not familiar with Sky Hubs.

Essentially he'd be using the new router as a glorified switch/access point, however i doubt he will need to do any routing on it.

This is how I've set up my Sky Hub and Asus N66U.

Sky Hub has WiFi and DHCP disabled.

Asus does routing, QoS, DHCP. Not had a single issue.

Associate
This is how I've set up my Sky Hub and Asus N66U.

Sky Hub has WiFi and DHCP disabled.

Asus does routing, QoS, DHCP. Not had a single issue.

May need a static route setting on the second router to forward internet-bound traffic back to router 1 so it can get out. Probably won't need it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whether double NAT is a problem or not depends on your use case. It's mainly a issue when you need to handle incoming connections.

The modem doesn't need to be compatible with MER, the device creating the connection does. Sky used to provide fibre using the old SR101 and the Openreach modem.

Back
Top Bottom