Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
They were just testing the extraction. Did you expect them to simulate a 180mph smash and barrel role first? :confused:

With crash test dummies yes. What's the point of the HALO if it's not tested in real conditions?

Or the FIA could pay for some super computer time to work it out. The FIA does have enough money to do that.
This is just my opinion.

Man of Honour
There's no point testing it fully until they know the drivers can get out quickly (not sure whether they have to keep to the existing extraction time or not).

Soldato
There's no point testing it fully until they know the drivers can get out quickly (not sure whether they have to keep to the existing extraction time or not).

From the link

"When we showed that to the drivers, they were not impressed with Andy's speed to get out of the car, but they actually asked to try it before the halo is introduced so one day they will get that training."

So in reality we won't know if it works until a big crash puts it to the test in 2018 :(

Soldato
From the link

"When we showed that to the drivers, they were not impressed with Andy's speed to get out of the car, but they actually asked to try it before the halo is introduced so one day they will get that training."

So in reality we won't know if it works until a big crash puts it to the test in 2018 :(

Same with most safety features.

We don't even know what shape Andy Mellor is in - he could be 65 years old and weigh 20 stone for all we know.

Change the tune deuse. If the halo isn't coming then something else is. It won't be this year, it might not be next year, but it's going to happen, and you complaining about it on a pesky computer forum every time there is some fresh news isn't going to change anything.

Associate
Does anyone else feel that the FIA test of the HALO in this article is way out?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-simulated-alonso-s-australian-gp-crash-with-halo-865841/

"We put one of our chassis upside down with a halo, we put Andy Mellor [consultant for the Global Institute for Motor Sport Safety]
into it as the worst case scenario and we asked him to come out exactly in Fernando's position and incredibly he did"

So they put a driver in a car, then turned it upside down. The guy got out and said all is ok?
To me this is a very strange way of testing. The FIA forgot about the speed of the car hitting the ground
then spinning and finally crashing in to the side.

You always start with static testing before dynamically testing crash structures. If a driver can be trained to still extract within the regulations (5 seconds?) I don't see what the problem is.

If they're going ahead with increased safety then I'm still in the full cockpit camp. my experience as an engineer is that if you're designing a new safety feature you are not allowed to reached a compromised design.

Soldato
You always start with static testing before dynamically testing crash structures. If a driver can be trained to still extract within the regulations (5 seconds?) I don't see what the problem is.

If they're going ahead with increased safety then I'm still in the full cockpit camp. my experience as an engineer is that if you're designing a new safety feature you are not allowed to reached a compromised design.

I like the canopy that starts down the nose and comes just past the driver.

The canopy is not dead? http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-canopy-idea-not-dead-yet-says-fia-866502/

Soldato
Anyone else see the Wherlein crash at the Race of Champions? Not sure what he was doing, it's almost like he was didn't realise what lap he was on, went for the cross over then realised but it was too late and hit the middle barrier. Bit of a strange one.

Man of Honour
Yeah, was a bit of an odd accident.

Those things have an amount of rear wheel steer apparently and don't look hugely stable at the best of times.

Not sure if that accident was worse than having the steering wheel coming off in your hands that happened later on to Tony Kanaan.

Soldato
Yeah, was a bit of an odd accident.

Those things have an amount of rear wheel steer apparently and don't look hugely stable at the best of times.

Not sure if that accident was worse than having the steering wheel coming off in your hands that happened later on to Tony Kanaan.

Ah right ok, that might help explain it as well then. Just strange that he wondered so far over for what looked like no reason.

I hadn't seen that happen with the steering wheel coming off, will have to take a look on Youtube.

Soldato

Why do road cars have 3 point belts then?

Full face helmet, harness and hans would save lives! No-one would ever use it, but if they did it would.

Soldato
Ah right ok, that might help explain it as well then. Just strange that he wondered so far over for what looked like no reason.

Looking at the replays it looks like he got a chunk of oversteer out of the last corner and that just pulled him towards the centre of the track, not enough time to get it back before he hit the barrier.

Soldato
The natural line will be right up against the wall, and he said that the wall grabbed the front wheel and turned his car towards Massa's, which launched it into the roll.

Scary accident what with it looking like their heads hit the top of the barrier. Glad they're fundamentally OK.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Carey has been publicly quiet since Liberty bought the first tranche of its shareholding in September, but he has spent the time getting to know what the company that employed him has bought.

His findings were:

1. The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid
  2. There is a lack of competition on track
  3. Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals
  4. The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  5. The decision-making process is not working properly
  6. Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side
  7. An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge

Great, now fix the issues you've already identified and it'll be awesome :)

Back
Top Bottom