Powerline network is slower than my internet :(

Soldato
I got some TP-Link AV1200 and ignoring the "gigabit" label they've been very good. Although I only get 100 of my 150 VM, but close enough it's a 1930's house and the router is the other end of the property to the PC.

Why can't some people accept that "just run some cable" isn't possible. Some of us live in rented houses and in my case the agent had a 20 page document of every single fixture, fitting and mark through the house. "Just drill some holes.." yeah okay.

In all rented houses I've been brutal and done exactly as I wanted and just accepted that on moving out, I had some DIY/decorating to do such as tidy ups and cover ups. One time I spent an entire weekend prepping as the letting agent was a **** saying that all the stuff I had done would cost so much if not returned to how it was. So I returned it all perfect. Re-painted. Only for the next day when I turned up to give the key in, they had the place totally and utterly ripped apart for a total redecoration up and down anyway.

Soldato
If you want to test the max throughput of your WiFi connection, plug a laptop or a machine at the router end and run NTTcp on that and your machine in the mancave to see what the fastest speed you can attain is. AC WiFi is pretty decent but can depend on how much interference from other SSIDs you have.

Soldato
OP
If you want to test the max throughput of your WiFi connection, plug a laptop or a machine at the router end and run NTTcp on that and your machine in the mancave to see what the fastest speed you can attain is. AC WiFi is pretty decent but can depend on how much interference from other SSIDs you have.

To be fair, using the wifi relay in the powerline kit, I can get around 85mbit to t'interweb using an old wireless-N dongle. Although that's only when the relay is within a few feet - if I connect to the router downstairs, it's more like 65-70. It's not terrible, but I'd prefer to get the full 100. Still, it has made me wonder if an AC dongle wasn't the way to go for the desktop.

Annoyingly, I need the wifi relay either way, since my tablet really struggles to pick up the router. Not a fan of Virgin Media's superhubs; they never seem very super...

That aside, 2 days without an ethernet disconnect. I'm getting hopeful that turning off power saving was the answer!

Soldato
You can use bridge mode on VM Hub and use your own Wifi router. AFAIK. I did this on their older modems. Haven't tried with the Hub yet.

Soldato
To be fair, using the wifi relay in the powerline kit, I can get around 85mbit to t'interweb using an old wireless-N dongle. Although that's only when the relay is within a few feet - if I connect to the router downstairs, it's more like 65-70. It's not terrible, but I'd prefer to get the full 100. Still, it has made me wonder if an AC dongle wasn't the way to go for the desktop.

Annoyingly, I need the wifi relay either way, since my tablet really struggles to pick up the router. Not a fan of Virgin Media's superhubs; they never seem very super...

That aside, 2 days without an ethernet disconnect. I'm getting hopeful that turning off power saving was the answer!

Fingers crossed on the power saving. I think I had the same issue on some Devolo plugs a while back, but turning off the power saving wouldn't fix it. They would lose connection every few days and I tried to figure out what might be causing noise on the line.

I ended up ditching them and sticking to WiFi AC which is alright for me as I'm just above the router.

If we ever refurbish the house again I'd definitely put ethernet cabling everywhere!

The NTTcp thing was only to test my max theoretical speed in case I decided to ever upgrade from 80mbps. Better to know you can support that speed rather than upgrade and find out you only get half (or less!).

Back
Top Bottom