• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Associate
Got it running at 4.7ghz and 1.28v now and it seems stable so far.

That seems a little too good to be true to me? I'm a little worried my voltage is higher than being reported by cpuz.

CPU temperature should tell you whether the voltage is what's reported by your programs.

Soldato
CPU temperature should tell you whether the voltage is what's reported by your programs.

Yes, i was thinking temperature should be a good indication.

It's hitting 70c on highest stress test on ibt. So that seems to correlate to a fairly low voltage.

Edit: got an error on ibt, seems it needs 1.3v to be stable at 4.7ghz. I'd rather run at 4.6 and a lower voltage i think.

Last edited:
Permabanned
On this forum people are often suggesting an i5 over an i7 for gaming and claiming the i7 offers nothing more than what the i5 does. This video shows some interesting results that contradict that as well as showing that clock for clock a 7700k is identical to a 6700k.

I didn't want to make a fresh thread so I'm putting it in this thread.

Soldato
Games are becoming more and more threaded now. For the sake of future proofing, I'd say £100 is well worth it considering the length of time i am likely to keep my 6700k.

You won't find me paying £350 for a 4/8 thread. I would pay it for true 6 or 8 core, enter Zen. Either way unless you're FPS obsessed an i5 is perfect for gaming.

Soldato
OP
Late to the party i know, but might as well join up :)

Just didn't think Kaby was worth the extra money. The z270 version of my board was an extra £80!

So i bought a 6700k, asrock z170 gaming k6 and 16gb of corsair ddr4 3000.

Happy as i could just re-use my trusty old noctua nhd14 cooler which i think is still as good as anything else on the market.

Got it clocked at 4.6ghz at 1.27 vcore, temps hitting around 70c on ibt.

It may not be night and day better than my old 2500k setup, but it's a nice jump all the same.

A nice upgrade for you, but I think it's very foolish to buy into Z170/6700K now that Kabylake is out.

Obviously no point in anyone upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake, though Kabylake does have a few no brainer advantages that are simply extremely foolish to miss:

1. Significantly higher resale value (6700K's value is now over £100 less)
2. AVX offset on Kabylake, which is an awesome feature (means CPU will downclock during AVX loads, preventing silly temps/noise)
3. Z270, Intel Optane support, few more lanes and other improvements.
4. 200-300Mhz higher overclock.

Note that I put the extra overclock speed as the last point, as it's the least important feature IMO.

Skylake was great and I've been extremely pleased with mine over the 1.5 years that I've had it, though it's extremely nonsensical to buy into Skylake/Z170 at this time, it's over 1.5 years old tech after all.

P.S. Overall, as I've mentioned in other threads, I still think that now is the worst possible time to buy a CPU. Ryzen is here soon, which will greatly affect prices. Could be talking £250 for a 7700k or even less, as this will be the first time we've had competition for many years.

Last edited:
Soldato
The resale value of the 6700k may be lower currently, but seeing as I'll probably keep the cpu four or five years and i doubt there will be much difference by the time i sell, it really makes no odds to me.

As for ryzen, it may well be good but i doubt it will be better than the intel equivalents. Especially for gaming.

I have no regrets for my purchase whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom