OS to M.2 SSD. Any noticeable difference between "speeds"?

Associate
I've noticed a difference. Office applications for example are for all intents and purposes, instant. Whereas on my (admittedly 4 years) old Samsung SSD it takes a noticeable second.

Does it increase productivity? Of course not, but if you're buying a new drive anyway I don't see any drawbacks.

Soldato
For my typical desktop use I can say that there hasn't been any difference noticed from the SSD drive that I had, to the NVMe noted it that video.
Benchmark wise it is up there performing as expected. In the real world, where it matters to me, it has been a complete waste of money, in terms of better speeds etc.

Soldato
What OS are you using? If its windows 10 then I would just go for the PM961 as the speeds for most use is identical to the SM961 so save your money. Also do not forget to check if your motherboard supports a) 4xPCIE and b) Booting from NVME drives.

If its Windows 7 then its an utter nightmare to put a fresh Windows 7 SP1 x64 install on the system without LOADS of flipping headaches.

Soldato
SM951 NVMe Samsung driver, Windows 10x64 Sabertooth S Z170 board. All as it should be in terms of booting and drivers. Still not the best choice made in terms of speed over an SSD.

Soldato
OP
I am on windows 10, using a 5820K + X99s krait sli. I'll only ever use a single GPU and sound card so plenty of spare PCIe lanes.

I think the PM961/SM961 are getting withdrawn as they weren't meant to be sold to consumers as they are much cheaper than the 960 evo/pro.

Soldato

Because they are being removed from retail outlets. The SM and PM range of M.2 SSDS are not actually supposed to be sold retail but for system integrators and OEM/ODM systems. Samsung are removing them from sale and putting systems in place so that they are not sold on their own via retail outlets. The 850/960 Pro/Evo drives are the retail versions that will still be available to purchase with full warranty and support.

Back
Top Bottom