• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Given the CPU they were using for the presentation wasn't even able to run on what they're claiming otherwise to be the stock VID, I doubt they even had it working at that point in time.

How do you know what VID it was running at?

Caporegime
Remember these are test or engendering samples, unfinished CPU's, what their VID and clockes are during these various demo's was always different, first we knew of it the 8 core was running 2.8Ghz, as a result of that people started going off on a hyperbolic tangent that 'Zen doesn't clock high enough', that was a premature assertion as the next time it was 3Ghz, then 3.15Ghz, then 3.4Ghz and the last one, revision F4 3.6Ghz..... well no surprise a CPU that was still undergoing fine tuning improved over time, derp.

The fact is all we know is what we know at the time in an ever evolving situation, there are several claims made that looked foolish at the time and have been proven to be exactly that.

For now lets just be very much aware that Zen is not ready to be released yet, they will continue tweaking right up until the day before release in 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
40ghz single core would be just fine.

with new transistor tech that allows a large jump in clock speed, i can see the initial CPU's having a simple design compared to current ones. But they gain their performance and outright beat current CPU's due to sheer clock speeds. They would no doubt start off on a larger node then reduce node but quicker than with current transistors.

Soldato
How do you know what VID it was running at?

It was noted, and confirmed by Lisa Su that the chip, despite consuming less power than Intel's part was running at a higher VID than it would conventionally. It's not of great importance, but if you couple that with the fact they didn't demo any turbo functionality - it's possible the firmware wasn't ready (at the time).

It's been reported in a couple of places, but can't find the link. Like most of the speculation it doesn't really matter at this stage

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It was noted, and confirmed by Lisa Su that the chip, despite consuming less power than Intel's part was running at a higher VID than it would conventionally. It's not of great importance, but if you couple that with the fact they didn't demo any turbo functionality - it's possible the firmware wasn't ready (at the time).

It's been reported in a couple of places, but can't find the link. Like most of the speculation it doesn't really matter at this stage

I can't find a single article that supports that.

Associate
That sounds about right. Intel produces at cost X and sells wholesale at price 1.25*X. Then the wholesaler adds on another 10% so it's 1.1*1.25*X. Then the retailer adds another 30% and it goes to 1.1*1.25*1.3*X which is about 1.8X and then there's VAT/Sales tax.

You also need to add R&D costs in there. The production of a CPU is hugely expensive before you even get to the point of manufacture. AMD have borrowed a lot of money to stay afloat and develop Zen. You can't just offset production costs against sales and call the difference profit. A lot of that money is already spent long ago.

Actually you can and that is exactly how it works.

If you look at annual/quarterly reports for IT companies (be it software producers or hardware producers) you will see that R&D is always a separately tracked and reported section. R&D departments are separate and have specific budgets that come from the margin of operations (building chips and selling them at a profit, minus the cost for marketing, supporting the distribution channels, administration, etc). If you do not have capital to fund the R&D you need to trim down its budget, or borrow money.

Have a look: open the (financial tables for AMD and you will see the revenue, cost of sales, margin and then the "Research and Development" line of the table that basically says how much the guys who build the stuff have.

EDIT: Basically, you have 'operations' which is the administrative/marketing/etc costs, then you have the "cost of sales" which basically say how much you need to build the damn things that they sell to make money. Finally you have R&D which is how much it costs to design and implement new products (until they are production ready). This is really more or less standard practice.

Of course, like you said, the margin must be enough to cover the other costs, otherwise you don't have a viable business. This often means trimming down R&D budget which may end up making things work (as your products become less competitive).

Last edited:
Soldato
156 pgs still nothing ? :D

And nearly a quarter million views on the thread... because surely there must be something... right?

h4rmony: You can define almost anything below revenue as profit if you try hard enough - be it Operating Profit, Gross Profit, EBIT etc etc.

Sales - Operating Costs = Operating Profit.

Associate
to be fair, this range of chips is called ryzen, based on the zen chip. we'll see more in the future not called ryzen but still zen chips. The 8 core 16 thread is called Summit ridge. Its also called S7 I think.

Cos the more names something has the better it is. Just ask the bad guy in ghost busters 2 :p

edit. got one of the names wrong :p

Last edited:
Soldato
to be fair, this range of chips is called ryzen, based on the zen chip. we'll see more in the future not called ryzen but still zen chips. The 8 core 16 thread is called Summit ridge. Its also called S7 I think.

Cos the more names something has the better it is. Just ask the bad guy in ghost busters 2 :p

edit. got one of the names wrong :p
You got more than that wrong. I'm guessing you got this from Wikipedia, which is currently wrong. Summit Ridge isn't the 8c/16t chip, it's the entire family of Zen-based chips that is about to be released. Similar in the way that "Kaby Lake" refers to all "7th generation" Core i CPUs.

The name "Ryzen" is less clear to me. Maybe it's just a nice marketing name for all Zen-based CPUs, maybe it's a marketing name for Summit Ridge, or maybe it doesn't have a precise meaning other than "AMD's back baby!". It could also be the actual names of the CPUs, e.g. "AMD Ryzen 8570" or something for an 8-core version). Personally I think it's the marketing name of Summit Ridge but that'd be a shame since it was already a cool name. :p

Last edited:
Associate
You got more than that wrong. I'm guessing you got this from Wikipedia, which is currently wrong. Summit Ridge isn't the 8c/16t chip, it's the entire family of Zen-based chips that is about to be released. Similar in the way that "Kaby Lake" refers to all "7th generation" Core i CPUs.

The name "Ryzen" is less clear to me. Maybe it's just a nice marketing name for all Zen-based CPUs, maybe it's a marketing name for Summit Ridge, or maybe it doesn't have a precise meaning other than "AMD's back baby!". It could also be the actual names of the CPUs, e.g. "AMD Ryzen 8570" or something for an 8-core version). Personally I think it's the marketing name of Summit Ridge but that'd be a shame since it was already a cool name. :p

It's actually 59 pages, you just have the forum setting in noob mode. :D

:D 156 pages and we aren't even sure what its called

Soldato

Zen is the CPU cores architecture name, like 'core' is still the CPU core architecture name for all current Intel parts.

Summit ridge is the part architecture name, like skylake kabylake etc.

Ryzen is the Marketing name, like Athlon, Phenom, Pentium, etc

S7 is a performance tier differentiator, like i3, i7 etc

Associate
Zen is the CPU cores architecture name, like 'core' is still the CPU core architecture name for all current Intel parts.

Summit ridge is the part architecture name, like skylake kabylake etc.

Ryzen is the Marketing name, like Athlon, Phenom, Pentium, etc

S7 is a performance tier differentiator, like i3, i7 etc

Hmmm so i7 v s7. Heard that one somewhere else......

Back
Top Bottom