Army Officer/Sandhurst, anyone done it?

Associate
Im coming to the end of my final year of uni doing a degree in creative digital media witht he aim of going into the video games industry. However over the past year ive been going over some of my options as i feel like i need to do something to really push myself.
I've never even considered the army before but over the past few weeks ive been looking into it on the web and it seems to offer what i feel im looking for. I plan on going into my local recruitment office next week to talk to someone about it in person but just wondered if anyone else has been in the same situation and/or has gone through officer training and could offer some advice.

Soldato
Im in the process of going through selection. You are able to visit most regiments and corps all paid for by the army. These can range from 1 day visits to 4-5 day stays.

The selection consists of AOSB briefing, this is a 2 day process. Its very relaxed your shown what you are expected to do on the main AOSB as well as some interviews, group discussions and fitness test. At the end of this you will be given a 'Catergory'. Cat 1 = you can go on to the Main board straight away. Cat 2 = you can go onto the main board in X amount of months. They will tell you how many and give you advice on what you need to improve. I got a Cat 2 12months needing to improve fitness and get more life expirience ( was 17 at the time). Cat 3 = Need a lot of improvement and unlikely to pass main board but you can try. Cat 4 = not suitable and not able to go onto main board.

As for the Main board i have no first hand expirience, decided to go onto it in a couple years. Its more formal consists of largely the same as the briefing but you receive no help from any of the staff there.

This is a very brief, you will get more setailed information from the recruitment office. Its a good idea to have a rough idea what you want to do when you go

Associate
My fiancee's brother passed out at Sandhurst in December, he's now an officer.

He started off at Welbeck college in Nottinghamshire, and then went onto Sandhurst and loved it - Prince Harry was his rear gunner on an exercise so he was well chuffed.

Back
Top Bottom