*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Caporegime
Stars included for extra officialness ;):p

That time of year and we already have threads for the Z4 and M9. I think it's safe to say the Galaxy range has lost some of its dominance over the years. The GS5 was a great phone but the competition improved and I think the market had got a little tired of Samsung's tiresome design. This lead to new models with metal frames and current models, like the Note 4, adding metal frames to capture that more premium feel.

Personally I think the GS6 needs a fresh design, a major change to TouchWiz and some improvement in areas the Galaxy range haven't always been the strongest in e.g. speakers, a fingerprint sensor more similar to Apple's version and minimum onboard storage. Along with this, all of the usual evolutionary spec bump, should produce a solid phone - though the early reports of the 810 SoC are a little worrying.

The rumoured specifications are:

• Super AMOLED 1440 x 2560 pixels
  • Exynos 7420 (Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57)
  • Mali-T760
  • 32/65/128 GB on-board storage
  • 3 GB RAM
  • 16 MP rear camera, optical image stabilized,
  • 5 MP front camera
  • Corning Gorilla Glass 4
  • Non-swipe fingerprint sensor
  • Charcoal Black, Copper Gold, Electric Blue, Shimmery White
  • Edge version

No doubt there will be 17 (an Edge version has been rumoured) different iterations of the phone. I currently have the GS4 which despite having a few issues, I still love. I was considering the Z4 because Sony have done a stellar job with their screen/battery technology on the Z3 but the probable locked bootloader and decreased developer support (compared to the Galaxy range) have put me off. I have recently turned my attention to the M9 as having a 1080p coupled with a fast SoC screen appeals to me for battery purposes. However if Samsung pulls something out of the bag, I am likely to get a GS6. No doubt, if you buy either the Z4, M9 or GS6 - you will be a happy customer :)

xaucl1.jpg

dlrwbb.jpg

2a5nb4j.jpg

dovzbd.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The Galaxy range normally comes with a decent audio chip right? I have recently purchased my first pair of non £5.99 headphones (ATH-M50x) so appreciating decent sound :p.

Good news about TW but won't be that impressed if they save 500 MB from internal space and still insist of using 16GB. My GS4 only has 6GB free after a fresh install :(

Soldato
I'm pretty certain that this will be my next phone. My i9305 is finally too long in the tooth.

Hope it has a metal band, 32GB onboard, 3GB RAM and OIS . and 5.2" perfeably.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
One thing I will be looking out for is call quality. I remember with my old X10 I could barely hear the call and with my GS4 - the person on the other end gets a really bad echo unless I take the back cover off. Found stories of similar issues with the GS2, GS4 and GS4 Mini.

Soldato
I'm hoping for a design change and it to be S4 sized. The S5 was too bulky and I'm tired of the design but I'm not holding my breath. I can see myself sticking to the S4 for another year yet.

Soldato
Sadly after owning a gs2 and gs4 I jumped ship to Apple with the 6 plus. I loved the hardware but I had become tired of the childish sounds, build quality, the touchwiz lag and the dis jointed nature of android.

I can only hope the s6 is back to basics and is more grown up.

Soldato
Every year Samsung spreads some bs about them "toning down Touchwiz". Does anybody really believe that?

There's been some lollipop leaks for various Samsung phones, which seem to be far more optimised than previous releases, so perhaps there is some truth in it.

Caporegime
OP
GSMArena are reporting today that the majority of the early batches will use their own Exynos SoC until the heating problems are fixed with the 810.

Man of Honour
Another report of the 810 being dumped:

Samsung said to dump Qualcomm chip in Galaxy S6

Josephine Lien, Taipei; Jessie Shen, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 14 January 2015]

Rumors have circulated in the industry that Samsung Electronics will dump Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 processor for use in its next-generation Galaxy S-series flagship smartphone, in favor of its own Exynos-series chip, due to concerns related to the Snapdragon 810 overheating issues.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 will reportedly feature its in-house developed 14nm application processor.

There are also industry sources suggesting that Samsung's Galaxy S6 will have two versions using either Qualcomm's Snapdragon processors or Samsung's own Exynos chips.

Samsung will initially have 80-90% of processors used in its Galaxy S6 manufactured using its in-house developed 14nm process technology, according to the sources. With Qualcomm solving the overheating problem of its 810 mobile chip, Samsung will gradually increase the ratio for devices using Qualcomm's processor, the sources said.

In fact, Samsung's Galaxy S4 models already consist of one version adopting Qualcomm's Snapdragon chip and the other using its own SoC solution targeted at different markets and network compatibility. Both processors were 28nm chips.

Similar to the S4, the upcoming Galaxy S6 will have two versions - one with Qualcomm's 810 mobile chips built using TSMC's 20nm process technology and the other with Samsung's own 14nm solutions, the sources noted.

The use of Samsung's 14nm processors in its Galaxy S6 also suggested that Samsung will move its 14nm FinFET node technology to volume production in the first quarter of 2015, which will be one quarter earlier than TSMC's production schedule for its 16nm FinFET process, according to industry observers.

TSMC disclosed previously that volume production of its 16nm FinFET process would kick off around July 2015.

Back
Top Bottom