Vodafone Broadband (No Line Rental) - Discussion

Caporegime
Has anybody gone over to Vodafone Broadband and have a mobile contract with them? - Has it been cheaper, are you pleased with the service?

I'm staying with Sky, but mum has never been happy with TalkTalk so she's considering going over to Vodafone

Soldato
If you go for the "up to 40mb" package and you are an existing Vodafone customer then you get £5/month off.
No discounts on the "up to 80mb" service.

As for Vodafone as a provider, for me it has been less than plain sailing.
4 days late getting connected due to "an issue stopping new customers being authenticated on to the network".
A connection that started at 80mb and then dropped to 54mb within 10 days.
DLM reset and the line was at 76.6mb for 5 days, right now it is at 70.6mb.
You cannot use your own kit with Vodafone - they do not give out PPoE details, so you will be forced to use their modem/router.

Only time will tell for me I guess. I am only paying £28/month for everything - but as many people will attest, paying the lowest fee isn't always the best option.
If my connection remains stable at 70mb for the next 18 months, then I'll be a happy Vodafone broadband customer.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for that :)

Mum only has a 4mb connection ATM and that's with 3-4 people using it. So anything over that is a bonus and cheaper

Associate
Considering voda myself as it'll save me £14.99 a month over BT.

Interested to hear if others have moved!

Soldato
Why not just use the cash back sites and get a better deal? We get line rental, 52mbit and full call package for less than Voda want just for broadband, add in the £10/m BT SIM with £45 cash back and £40 voucher and BT is stupidly cheap, £2.91 for mobile is amazing :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
After years of being on Talk Talk with some very shoddy service and constant calls claiming to be from Talk Talk, mum is going over to Vodafone no line rental any day now. Due to be activated tomorrow

Currently she's connected at 4.32mbps, tomorrow hopefully up to 38.2mbps

Soldato
I tried signing up, but they emailed saying we are cancelling your business broadband order it as per your instructions. which was weird considering it was not a business order nor had i asked them to cancel it.

They then sent a router a week or so later.

I doubt i will be resigning up any time soon!

Associate
After seeing the nice new rises from sky and the other I'm considering going over to vodafone. With being a Vodafone customer for my mobile I think the deal is good especially with a discount, my only worry is gaming!! How low are the pings with vodafone as currently my ping sits at 10-14 for UK servers.

Soldato
I'm with them. They're cheap but the limitation of having to use their shabby Connect router means I'll be paying a bit more renewal time and going elsewhere. It's underpowered and feature limited and if you use your own kit you're double NATing as you've got to set it all up behind their router.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm with them. They're cheap but the limitation of having to use their shabby Connect router means I'll be paying a bit more renewal time and going elsewhere. It's underpowered and feature limited and if you use your own kit you're double NATing as you've got to set it all up behind their router.

They should let us use our own kit. :(

Soldato
They should let us use our own kit. :(

I know why they do it - to reduce their support costs, but they are the only supplier bar Sky (and if you're savvy you can bypass Sky) to do this. Other suppliers don't follow this draconian approach so there really can't be that much benefit to Vodafone to do it.

Back
Top Bottom