Memory prices going up!

OcUK Staff
Memory prices have more than double since Summer, forgot Brexit, these increases are way way higher.

We once sold 32GB kits at £79.99, they are all now closer and over £200. :(

Soldato
There is some seriously dodgy market manipulation going on within the PC component industry.

If regulators took a serious look at it, there would be lots of companies & CEO's getting huge fines and going to prison.

Soldato
There is some seriously dodgy market manipulation going on within the PC component industry.

If regulators took a serious look at it, there would be lots of companies & CEO's getting huge fines and going to prison.

Yeah, that's not how it works, or why it happens.

Memory is expensive to make, it only takes production to cease for a week or two, and prices can as much as double. There are only a handful of factories in operation.

This coupled with juggling demand from other sectors, you may as well roll a dice to know what is going to happen to the price from a consumer perspective.

Soldato
Providing memory is cheap my advice is to buy more then you need early.

One reason for this is CPU's are not increasing in speed much that means a motherboard/CPU could be in use many years, plus if you populate the computer early you have the benefit of the extra memory for all those years.

Other reasons fitting high amounts of memory early, your memory will be matched and no issues matching memory years later. Another reason is you populate all the memory SIMMS (when there still clean) so you remove the problem of years later installing memory over SIMMS that potentially have dust/dirt over the contacts.

Associate
Memory is a commodity and the price fluctuates.

Priced in Dollars memory is 50% more expensive than June 1st 2016, when the price started to move up.

So going by Gibbo's post above it seems Brexit has increased memory prices by around 20% when priced in Pounds.

Man of Honour
Providing memory is cheap my advice is to buy more then you need early.

One reason for this is CPU's are not increasing in speed much that means a motherboard/CPU could be in use many years, plus if you populate the computer early you have the benefit of the extra memory for all those years.

Other reasons fitting high amounts of memory early, your memory will be matched and no issues matching memory years later. Another reason is you populate all the memory SIMMS (when there still clean) so you remove the problem of years later installing memory over SIMMS that potentially have dust/dirt over the contacts.

I think it depends where in the cycle you are, over time new standards come out so a big stack of RAM may not be that useful in years to come when you upgrade. For example I could have bought more DDR3 when it was cheap but then that would be wasted if I wanted to buy a DDR4 mobo. That said I do take your point that pace of change is a bit reduced these days, so the lifespan of memory is arguably increased a bit. I haven't upgraded my system since 2012, which would have seemed quite an alien idea to me 10 years ago when I was pretty much upgrading mobo and cpu every two years with memory/gfx card scattered inbetween as appropriate.

Regarding memory slots certainly in years gone by having all memory slots filled could lead to a reduction in stability of overclock.

I've not been monitoring the market for quite a while but I do recall being surprised how cheap DDR4 was when I looked a while back (as mentioned 32GB under £100 seemed pretty good).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it depends where in the cycle you are, over time new standards come out so a big stack of RAM may not be that useful in years to come when you upgrade. For example I could have bought more DDR3 when it was cheap but then that would be wasted if I wanted to buy a DDR4 mobo. That said I do take your point that pace of change is a bit reduced these days, so the lifespan of memory is arguably increased a bit. I haven't upgraded my system since 2012, which would have seemed quite an alien idea to me 10 years ago when I was pretty much upgrading mobo and cpu every two years with memory/gfx card scattered inbetween as appropriate.

Regarding memory slots certainly in years gone by having all memory slots filled could lead to a reduction in stability of overclock.

I've not been monitoring the market for quite a while but I do recall being surprised how cheap DDR4 was when I looked a while back (as mentioned 32GB under £100 seemed pretty good).

Its also how good the cache system is on modern Intel CPU's. So say you have some DDR3 1600 or even 1333 its still valid speed wise compared to much faster memory as the cache does such a good job.

15-20 years ago it was not the same situation as computers were much more dependent on memory speed (cache system not as good), then you could invest in high amounts of memory early but it became redundant due to speed. Unless your someone who's getting the last few percent from a computer memory speed does not really matter, so buying slower memory early won't affect most people.

Soldato
Memory prices have more than double since Summer, forgot Brexit, these increases are way way higher.

We once sold 32GB kits at £79.99, they are all now closer and over £200. :(

Have you ever thought about taking some risk and buying some real cheap and just sticking it at the back of the warehouse? ;)

Back
Top Bottom