Avexir ram no longer available. Want to upgrade 8 to 16

Associate
So I have avexir 8gb core series ram (white). Which I bought on overclockers about 2 years ago.

Speccy says the specs are: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)

I want to upgrade to 16GB as Just cause 3 keeps running out of memory and I get the windows: please close this to avoid running out of memory etc. and sometimes this then crashes.

Could someone let me know what I can buy so that it matches the ram specs. I remember you need the same settings so it can still run in dual channel mode or something? Thanks :)

Specs other than that should be fine: See signature though I now have a gtx 1060 not a 770

Soldato
I've been trying to find out the same thing. I've got 2x4GB of dual channel memory, and want to add 2x4GB more (like you, to move from 8GB to 16GB due to gaming issues), but I'm unsure as to whether the sticks need to be quad channel or not...

Associate
OP
Ah yes should have said. Its 2*4GB like you. As my current sticks are not quad channel I presume not. I basically just want to buy the same thing again so they can run in dual channel but you can't buy it anymore.

I'm hopping someone comes along and confirms that if i find ddr3 in 9-9-9-24 at 1600mhz and dual channel it will be perfect

(and i have two spare slots, i.e. i want 4*4gb)

Man of Honour
I did it with DDR and DDR2 (even ran mismatched sticks but with both locked to the same settings) so can't see why it wouldn't work with DDR3/4. I have seen people on here using different size memory with no problems as well. Only last week someone had 12Gb of ram (2x 2Gb, 2x 4Gb) working fine. I think you just need to keep the identical sticks in the same channel and things should be fine. In your case two identical sticks in the blue channel while the second kit that is different to your original kit in the black channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
RAM can be a little be volatile when mix and matching kits but most people get it to work.

I done it with DDR3 back when I had my ivy bridge e set up and had 2 sticks of Hyper X Beast 1600Mhz and 2 sticks at 2400Mhz. Usually putting the slower sticks in ram slot 1 and 3 will force the higher rated RAM to run at a matching speed. As you're on a 2500k too quad channel won't run iirc it will jus run as two sets of dual channel.

Maybe just keep an eye on auction sites/b-grade warehouses till some pops up?

Back
Top Bottom