• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k in Z170 Mobo

Associate
Manufactures are supplying updates for Z170 to support the 7000 series CPU's but, I have a friend who has ordered a 7700k and a Z170 Mobo, this will not have an updated mobo, will the chip still work so he can grab the BIOS update?

Any effects it might have? Thanks

Soldato
What raven said.

If it's new from factory it might have a latest bios but I wouldn't bank on it with Kaby being so new as any new board is likely to have been in transit/sat in a warehouse for a good few months.

Soldato
Z170 mobo should support skylake chips out of the box.

But bank on them needing a bios flash for kaby chips unless you get lucky.

The op said z ONE 70, not z TWO seventy.

7700k is a kaby chip, not skylake.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is that to me? I understand that, I'm asking why he chose 170 over 270 when they cost the same. To me the only reason would be lack of drivers for anything other than win10.

Soldato
Well yeh.. 270chipset should be fine with kaby chips, 170 also, but bios update probably needed, so that brings complications If You buy a kaby and a 170.

Soldato
I really wanted an asus z170i (because my cooler is known to fit) and a 7700k but the bios update just looked to be too much of a problem so for the same money I bought an asrock board z270 although spec looks lower.

Soldato
I had an older standard intel cooler fitted to my Z270 mobo while testing a Kabylake 7600K, and then I fitted an H55 AIO to it that was previously cooling a 2500K in a Z68 chipset mobo. the mounting holes around the Z68 cpu socket appear to be identical to Z270.

Soldato
From my experience in testing Kaby Lake it should work fine at stock but overclocking a Kaby Lake on a Z170 motherboard is flaky. I have tried the same board but next gen (Asus Z170-K Vs Prime Z270-K) with the same settings for overclock where possible but where the 7700K is nice and stable at 5Ghz on the Z270 but cant get anywhere near that with the Z170.

Surely the easyiest way to rectify this would be to use your consumer rights, return the product to the retailer and get a Z270 Motherboard???

Associate
OP
Why when Z270 is the same price? lack of Windows 7 drivers?

No idea, its just what he picked.

From my experience in testing Kaby Lake it should work fine at stock but overclocking a Kaby Lake on a Z170 motherboard is flaky. I have tried the same board but next gen (Asus Z170-K Vs Prime Z270-K) with the same settings for overclock where possible but where the 7700K is nice and stable at 5Ghz on the Z270 but cant get anywhere near that with the Z170.

Surely the easyiest way to rectify this would be to use your consumer rights, return the product to the retailer and get a Z270 Motherboard???

After he watched me do mine, he has now decided to return the Z170 when he gets it as he has no idea how to computer, I use the MSI XPower Titanium and hit 5Ghz fine, just some sliiiiiiightly high temps, I'll delid at a bit of a later date.

I ran kaby on Asus Z170 before they released Kaby bios. Shouldn't be an issue getting into bios to flash new, you just won't be able to OC until you do.

For me at least, the mobo said it had posted but I didn't get anything on screen, thankfully I can flash my mobo with only power. Now 5Ghz on a Z170 stable :) - After a delid going to push for 5.1 just because.

Back
Top Bottom