• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k Delid questions (materials)

Associate
Associate
Hey buddy, thats definitely one of the most popular thermal pastes I see nowadays, I believe 8Pack himself uses it and sells them on his extreme OC bundles

I just ordered a custom z270 setup from OCUK and requested them to use that thermal paste also if I bought it. Not delid my cpu though but tempted to do so once I get my system next week

Associate
Thermal Grizzly or Gelid GC Extreme for me.

I'd leave the IHS 'loose' (just support it when clamping), but if you want to seal it down again, use one of the Permatex Black silicone adhesive sealants. Don't forget to leave the gap in the sealant as the IHS originally had though.

Associate
OP
Hey buddy, thats definitely one of the most popular thermal pastes I see nowadays, I believe 8Pack himself uses it and sells them on his extreme OC bundles

I just ordered a custom z270 setup from OCUK and requested them to use that thermal paste also if I bought it. Not delid my cpu though but tempted to do so once I get my system next week

I'm sitting at 4.7Ghz and hitting temps of max 96 during gameplay (H1Z1 - heavy on CPU) but it seems very stable, prime pushed all cores that high so I just stopped it. There was a core difference of up to 20deg in some places :\ (During the short prime run

Thermal Grizzly or Gelid GC Extreme for me.

I'd leave the IHS 'loose' (just support it when clamping), but if you want to seal it down again, use one of the Permatex Black silicone adhesive sealants. Don't forget to leave the gap in the sealant as the IHS originally had though.

Thanks, really helpful.

Associate
OP
96c at 4.7Ghz is pretty high? I'm getting those temps at 5.2Ghz with 1.41v

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, no idea. I'll have to check fan curves ect and my fan controller then. Maybe because I did a lazy OC and used my mobo to do it? It changes base clock as well as multiplayer, don't see that effecting heat though ?

Soldato
Do you have to put the IHS back on? what happens if you put the cooler directly on top of the die?

You can risk cracking the die if you apply too much pressure. This is usually as a result of struggling to get good contact and overdoing it. I would recommend just placing the IHS back on and holding it in place as you clamp it with the motherboard.

Associate
OP
CLU between the die and IHS, Thermal Grizzly for between IHS and cooler.

Also, anything above 80 degrees C treads into uncomfortable territory.

Doing this, though Grizzy had a liquid metal :D

DO NOT think my nuts are big enough to try no IHS - Maybe if I had a random tax rebait of 50,000£ (Not gonna happen....), ordering everything when payday comes in :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I found the glue easier to work on this one compared to the 6700k except one corner was way down compared to the others so was tricky to get under.

I used standard tesco blades too.

Soldato
Stanley knife blade did my 6700k, don't leave it naked as the temps are likely to be worse as tested by 8pack etc on these (basing on 6700). I added a little black gasket sealant to replace it, also +1 for CLU under the IHS.

Soldato
99exyg.jpg

I assume you would be advised to insulate these components with nail varnish etc, in case any liquid metal should get on them?

Back
Top Bottom